login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: ambulance call status.  (Read 2748 times)

Description: priority calling.

Offline eragon

ambulance call status.
« on: October 23, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »
Had to fill in some  forms to confirm that we need priority calls for the ambulance for our son.  Although i am pleased they suggested that we require this, am still sad that we need it.

there notes state, that priority call out  'due to severe reactions that dont respond quickly to epi pen'

which was true of his last reaction, which didnt correct his low blood pressure quick enough, in fact paramedic was just about to sort out the second, and it improved. the grey colour magically lifting from his face. The paramedic arrives within two mins,( which is fab btw. we do have about five of them nearby in our town!)
paramedic  was not impressed with the 20 min plus time that the last ambulance took, as he felt that hospital  was naturally the safest place.

its hard seeing it in black and white, but reasuring at the same time.

Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline SilverLining

Re: ambulance call status.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:50:10 AM »
I'm glad to hear he was put on the priority list.

I find it distressing that such a list is necessary.  I know here, people were calling 9-1-1 not because they truly needed an ambulance, but because they (mistakenly) thought going into the ER in an ambulance would mean they got prioritized to the front of the wait list. 

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 09:41:55 AM »
Hmmmm, when ds2 had a head wound and was taken by ambulance to the ER, I was told that he was seen faster because he arrived via ambulance.  We skipped the wait for triage and skipped triage entirely; he went straight back to a room.

Maybe it's different in Canada vs. U.S.?

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »
It used to be that way here, the reason being, the paramedics can't leave until the hospital takes over care of the patient.  However, people were really abusing it, and now, an ambulance no longer moves you t the front of the line.  I have seen parents sign something so the paramedics can leave (actually it was a child having a mild allergic reaction).  I've also witnessed people arriving in an ambulance and throwing a fuss because they can't skip the line for somethng minor which they likely could have taken a bus to the hospital...or a bad cold they've had for a week that they suddenly felt the need for an ambulance and ER rather then go to their own doctor or a walk-in clinic.

The triage nurse definitely does talk to the paramedic, and then decides whether the patient goes through directly or waits.  A head injury might go through right away. 

But keep in mind, where I live an ambulance ride is not expensive....might be cheaper then a taxi, I'm not sure.  And a lot of people think they don't get billed for it at all, so people here might be a bit more inclined to call for one for non-emergencies.

Offline eragon

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 12:55:44 PM »
we have called the ambulances quite a lot with our son, so am glad its all free here..............for now.!
Its OK to have dreams:one day my kids will be legal adults & have the skills to pick up a bath towel.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 01:08:29 PM »
I thought they might be free where you are, but I wasn't sure.

Offline Mookie86

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
Here, ambulance is free.  IDK if they can refuse to take you if they determine you don't need it.  I doubt they'd do that due to lawsuit vulnerability.

Offline Susan

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 01:47:11 PM »
Here the ambulance costs $20.00 but insurance will cover it. 
Children are taken to the Children's hospital and not necessarily the closest hospital.  That's OK because the staff and equipment is geared to children.  Any ER will see them but if they are admitted, they must go to CHEO.

We've always gotten a room ASAP with the ambulance.

Offline Kelley2522

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 01:38:53 PM »
My son's ambulance ride cost us $650 to go 13 miles. Not to mention, it took them 20 minutes to arrive and didn't start IV, administer epi or anything like that. We have insurance, but we have to pay our deductible before they will cover an ambulance ride.

We did get seen immediately, but I couldn't say whether that was because we arrived via ambulance or not. We go to the children's hospital and we always get seen within 10 minutes or so.

Offline eragon

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 05:22:46 PM »
our last ambulance staff didnt monitor our sons blood pressure etc on the journey to hosptial, so i made a formal complaint and the staff in question have been  cautioned and  sent for extra training and its gone on their record.   
not a question fo £ but simply not doing their job, which was not good enough.

Offline Susan

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 01:32:38 PM »
Here the ambulance must ask for permission to transport you to the hospital.  If you're unconscious, they will assume permission.  Some feel challenged when the emergency staff ask, "Do you want to go to the hospital?"  The answer should be, "Yes!".