FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "Domestic Enemies of the Allergy Mom"  (Read 3289 times)

Description: Blog & comments to share

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
"Domestic Enemies of the Allergy Mom"
« on: October 25, 2011, 04:21:52 PM »
http://www.rantsfrommommyland.com/2011/10/domestic-enemies-of-allergy-mom.html

Blog = Rants from MommyLand
Blog date = October 11, 2011
One hundred + comments posted after the blog.

Just wanted to share.

If this already has been posted in Main here, please forgive, post the original link to me here & transport me.
 ;D

~e
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

Re: "Domestic Enemies of the Allergy Mom"
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:24:02 PM »
Yeah, someone did post it. I didn't care for the Food Allergy Warrior one, liked this one with a couple of exceptions. She says she's thankful her child doesn't anaphylax but 'only' gets head to toe hivee plus vomiting and bloody diarrhea. Not sure what her definition or criteria are but that's a must epi for us. Next the many chime in about how they totally understand... but their child has behavioral allergies. Not going to spend time correcting people on the internet but having children with LTFA it's adds unnecessary and dangerous hardship when the medical definition is co-opted.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »
ditto-- that pretty much sums up my feelings precisely.

I can also say that my perspective as a parent has changed and has more... ummm....

NUANCE now, as compared to when my daughter was two and relatively newly diagnosed.  Living this the first year as opposed to living it the next seven... or sevenTEEN...

yeah.

Nothing quite like fearing that your child might die as you're holding him/her...

sending your child to school... or having him/her sob because of exclusion...

or listening to the CURERS.

Oh, the CURERS.  Those are the most hateful of all.  Because they are the ones that make you have conversations with your child that you would REALLY.... no-- REALLY-- rather not have at this particular developmental milestone in time.  They also come in the guise of authority figures and well-meaning family and friends...

and you fear them.  Because you never know just WHAT those people might be capable of.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline momtoAidenDeclan

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 05:52:21 AM »
The  post on this one from 10/26 is amusing - you can vote for her definition of a word on Urban Dictionary.....

http://www.starkravingmadmommy.com/
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 07:11:56 AM »
Are there any blogs out there that concentrate on tracking the medical and pharmaceutical side of the equation? I've been piecing together updates on what I find on FAS, Food Allergy Initiative and whatever journal articles I can turn up on Google Scholar. I'm not convinced we're not getting shortchanged when it comes to answers on why and what the heck is going on with pharm, the medical establishment and our autoimmune systems suddenly and increasingly becoming hypersensitized to anaphylaxing from so many common food proteins.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »
I'm something of an insider there, fwiw.

The only shortchanging that I can see is that a real CURE costs several hundred million dollars in research $$, and that money is (naturally) going to problems that impact a larger percentage of people.  Like Diabetes.  Or Heart Disease.

<shrug>

It's a money thing.

What I don't like is the result of those facts on the direction of the research in the area.  It results in research studies being driven on the CLINICAL side before the basic science exists to support them.  In other words, we have a "cure" right now.  The problem is that it only seems to work for SOME patients, and nobody has any clue WHY it works for them and not for others.

But understanding the mechanism of "why" and of sensitization isn't going to be profitable for anyone.  Okay, fine-- cancer prevention, same deal, yes?  But the difference is that cancer is something that most people have direct family experience with and can appreciate as being worth the taxpayer $ to invest in understanding and prevention.

The immune system?  Not-so-much.  There you get into the orphan diseases and chronic, debilitating but not directly life-ending (well, not for MOST people, anyway) diseases.  So there is just not the research $$ to dig into the mechanism, and provate enterprise has no REASON to.  It's got to be government funded, basically. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »
I think we're agreeing in that, as it stands now, it is more profitable for pharmaceutical companies to keep treating us for reactions than to treat us so that there are less reactions. It's not evil motivation it's simply how things have worked out. However, back to an aggregated source with knowledgeable commentary paced with the industry via blog. Treating us costs someone something, namely our insurance companies and merely eyeballing it I'd say the situation now is not what anyone could have foreseen ten years ago. In other words, there may be enough financial momentum that treating us for reactions is costing (in absolute terms) more than it costs to treat the disorder? disease? What are we calling it?

I think we're actually a very expensive lot in terms of treating us, so while it's not in a pharmaceutical's best financial interest the insurance industry may disagree. And, even when we assent to the hold ups, are we not left still with the duty to push for more research, participate in clinical trials, etc. What other choice do we have?

In short -- I do agree with everything you said.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 02:30:27 PM »
Insurance companies don't have any LONG-TERM interest in the basic research, however.

That's a cynical view, btw, but one that I stand by.  I'm pretty sure that pharma isn't making enough off of anyone with LTA that we 'matter' to them at all in terms of medication.  Not unless there were a way to "fix" the underlying genetic atopy.  I mean, even if you have a cure for FA, it won't do a thing for the asthma, environmental allergies, etc. etc.

ASTHMA, now that is expensive for insurance companies.   That's why they'll cover preventative interventions.

The problem is that there isn't any MONEY to spare for the underlying basic research.  And honestly, anything that the insurance industry would lobby for on this behalf is going to be about limiting short-term costs.  In the case of asthma, that's something they'll go to bat for, because the cost-benefit ration only requires going out three or four YEARS before it all makes perfect sense.

It does not make financial sense (for anyone but patients) to 'fix' a LTFA in a person who successfully avoids ER treatment for a decade or more at a time.  In other words, the majority of people carrying Epinephrine for an allergy.

It pays, I think, to recall that we're the unlucky minority even of FA families, mostly-- the ones with greater numbers of allergies, the ones with the greatest sensitivity/lowest reaction threshold.  For most people with FA, "don't you just know what you can't eat" is sufficient as a precautionary measure most of the time.

So even if there ARE 12 million Americans with FA, it's highly probable that about 8-10 million of THEM think of it as "a pain, but not that big a deal."

Still, 2 million is a pretty big number.  Granted.

The problem is that so many of those people are children.

Treatment of children raises a whole host of ethical constraints-- not the least of which is that we have NO long-term studies to evaluate the long-term impact of anything but antihistamines on those individuals.  We also don't have a mechanistic picture of the 'disease' state to begin with.

This is like treating arthritis a thousand years ago, basically. 

How much money has been thrown at osteoarthritis in the past millenium-- in today's dollars?

And that is still a disorder that, while unfortunately common, doesn't really have a silver bullet type "cure."

It isn't that anyone is MAKING MONEY on people's suffering and is therefore motivated to retain the status quo.  It just really is that complicated.

Type I diabetes has had money thrown at it for nearly forty years-- and THEY still don't have a cure, either.  But at least they are starting to understand the mechanistic underpinnings of the disease state.  THAT is what leads to a more coherent (rather than serendipitous) discovery process for innovations in treatment and eventually, one hopes-- CURES.  Or at the very least, prevention which actually works.

We don't even know how to tell, using purely diagnostic tests, just WHO is at risk of anaphylaxis and who isn't even allergic in a clinical sense.

Baby steps.  That's all.  Baby steps. 

I don't really anticipate much happening in the next twenty years, any more than it has in the past ten.  Because until the basic research gets done, clinical researchers are fumbling around in the dark and hoping that they'll stumble over SOMETHING that happens to work... and crossing their fingers that there won't be anything about it that they DIDN'T see coming.  <shudders>  What other chronic health problem or disease would YOU trade LTFA for, hmmmm?  (Not an idle question, btw...)

I know why the basic research doesn't get funding, and clinical trials of treatments DO...

basic research isn't sexy, it doesn't seem to have "real world applicability" and most people aren't that interested.  But it's the fuel that REAL medical advances run on.  :-[ <SIGH>

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 02:44:02 PM »
You wouldn't happen to be interested in keeping a blog about these sort of things, would you? :)

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 02:49:06 PM »
 :rofl:

What?  In my 'free time?'

LOL... this <sweeps hand> is what I spend my time doing.  ;)

Well, and taking on the education of my child, who apparently cannot* be accommodated by my local schools.  <sigh>

* this word.... I do not think it means... what you think it means...

Western U.S.

Offline Ree

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 09:59:40 PM »

* this word.... I do not think it means... what you think it means...

Classic  :thumbsup:
DS1 (11) - PA
DS2 (9) - MA, EA, PA, TN (on baked milk for 1 year)
DS3 (7) - KNA