How much does a Cupcake Queen cost?

Started by Arkadia, October 27, 2011, 06:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkadia

http://tinyurl.com/3h55g5c

This arrived in my email recently, and it's something I've calculated in terms of access to education, safe learning environments, and accommodations (or lack of) before.

Especially in light of all the fundraising I've encountered between four children in public school systems. It's ironic.

I understand our funding to be somewhere in the 90-100 dollar per capita/per day range. I might be mistaken.

Related to accomodations/an IEP/covered disability (non food allergy related) my younger son missed nearly three consecutive months of B and M school in first grade.

Related to accommodations/an IEP/covered disability (food allergy/non food allergy related) my older son was homeschooled for two consecutive years. Not sure how or how much that translated to dollars lost because I withdrew him from district enrollment to be homeschooled, as opposed to withholding attendance, and remaining enrolled in district wide programming. Homeschooled vs. homebound, I mean. I guess, if he was "homebound", even then, if they documented some attempt at schooling him, they might have still received monies. But I'm not sure. Just amazed such simple requests (at the time) for accommodation were met with the vitriol we experienced, rather than even trying. Does that make sense?

Not including the days missed after re-enrollment due to food related activities/field trips/celebrations/and yes, asthma.
I mean, really, apply this to a variety of needs, including diabetes.

I missed a lot of school days growing up because I needed a break from being bullied. My parents frequently gave me "personal days" when it was overwhelming.   

Anyways, to the point, I guess, if a school received their monies upfront at the beginning of the year, based on enrollment, and had to write a check at the end (or quarterly) back to funding agencies for days missed.....but I digress.

"It's all about student performance, attendance, and quality of life."
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

ajasfolks2

Well, if this family pulls 2 kids OUT of this public school district (due to unsafe/LTFA reasons -- much of which from Cupcake Queen induced risk) . . .

then it would cost the district approximately THIS, at minimum, for sure:

$ 1500.00 EACH CHILD

in federal grant $ per child because they are identified and confirmed (by us on signed form -- voluntarily)  children of military family (grant program is called "Impact Aid").

DO NOT QUOTE, please.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

CMdeux

Well, we homeschooled for three years, and have been enrolled with an out-of-district CHARTER since that time-- and it is entirely about the allergies.

So yeah, not even including the volunteer hours that we would (otherwise) have been POURING into the local schools in that time...

not including the fundraising that we'd have assisted with and contributed to...

well, it isn't easy in my state to KNOW exactly what ADM funding per student is-- but my local district does NOT GET that money.

And it's about 6-8K annually.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

socks on a rooster

This is SUCH an excellent point. In my state I believe it's about 10k per year that they won't be getting for my child. I'm sure other parents would be thrilled to know the school is VOLUNTEERING to lose money as they are being hit up with a million fundraisers.

Ra3chel

The 3 is silent.

Mfamom

I'm coming later to post here.  Ws going to post anyway about PTO and ccqueens.  My bf is now PTO pres at ds former school.  Hearing the details of the planning/fighting/arguing/power plays that really go on is just sick.
Many of the changes that were made when ds was in elem. have now been put back to the "old" food centered way. 
You cannot believe the tension over a 5th grade activity that used to be a luncheon where everyone brought food for buffet that was changed to a non food activity.  It stayed that way for the past 2 years.  Now moms who have older kids that did the luncheon trying to get it changed back. 
My friend said she walked out of the meeting because she was so upset by the nasty comments that were general in nature as well as allergy related. 
The ptos have way too much authority/power and need to follow district and school guidelines.  IMHO
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

MamaMia

Quote from: Mfamom on November 01, 2011, 07:40:50 AM
I'm coming later to post here.  Ws going to post anyway about PTO and ccqueens.  My bf is now PTO pres at ds former school.  Hearing the details of the planning/fighting/arguing/power plays that really go on is just sick.
Many of the changes that were made when ds was in elem. have now been put back to the "old" food centered way. 
You cannot believe the tension over a 5th grade activity that used to be a luncheon where everyone brought food for buffet that was changed to a non food activity.  It stayed that way for the past 2 years.  Now moms who have older kids that did the luncheon trying to get it changed back. 
My friend said she walked out of the meeting because she was so upset by the nasty comments that were general in nature as well as allergy related. 
The ptos have way too much authority/power and need to follow district and school guidelines.  IMHO

Disappointing and just sick.  :-/

lala

I hate to be the one to say it, but most schools really don't care.  They see us as "trouble makers" and regardless of the funding they may loose, they are usually happy to see us go.

I personally had my child on home-bound instruction because I REFUSED to let them off scott-free for their unwillingness to keep my child safe.  But regardless, I was told that they would rather pay the money than have to do things "just for one kid". :disappointed:

hedgehog

And the kicker is that it's not "just for one kid."  There are enough kids with dietary restrictions (allergies, diabetes, intolerances) that it would definitely benefit others to have a policy in place that takes the emphasis off of food.  Add to that the increase in obesity in this country, and it is healthy for the others, as whole, not to have so much food shoved at them.  And of course, there is the lost instruction time anytime there is such an activity.  So really, all benefit.
USA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview