DS's upcoming field trip

Started by hedgehog, October 29, 2011, 04:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgehog

This is for a school-sponsored club, not for school itself. BUt the club will be participating in a competition, and this year's theme is food.  Because of DS's allergy, they have decided to do their project on cross-contamination (specifically peanut).  And the upcoming field trip is going to a local ice cream manufacturer to see how they make it and how cross-contamination occurs.  They did check with me about whether I would feel comfortable with this before they even started planning.  I have also been asked to chaperone.  The other kids may or may not get ice cream (I think odds are they will) so I will make sure DS has a great safe treat.  Ironic that DS is the reason they chose this field trip, yet he is the one who cannot enjoy the ice cream.  But considering the circumstances, I'm still happy about it.
USA

BeyondCastles

Yes, ironic.  But that was great that they picked a topic that educates people about allergies.  It is still frustrating to go some place and need to bring a safe substitute.
My son has a life-threatening peanut/tree nut allergy.

I love to plan vacations for others with dietary restrictions!  We all deserve to travel!

hedgehog

Just found out last night that DS had an active role in making the arrangements for this trip as well.  I thought it was the teacher advisors who planned and arranged it, but it was DS who sent the e-mail asking if it was something they could do.  ;D
USA

hedgehog

OMG!!!! What a great day!  First, since DS was the official contact person, he was the to go in and ask for the person they would be seeing, and he had the group's list of questions to ask. And he was a fine spokesman ;D

But also, wow I was impressed by how they handle allergens there.  Yes, same equipment, but the procedures for washing in between runs, and how they are aware of may contains in the products they use, was as good as I could ever ask for.  And the people working there were so knowledgeable.  And on the serving end, they have good procedures in place--opening new containers, taking a clean scoop from the back, then washing before scooping as an extra precaution.  After all of that, I told DS I was comfortable with him having the ice cream if he was.  So he had a scoop of vanilla and loved it!

And after the tour of the ice cream facility and lunch and eating ice cream, we went to see the cows being milked, and got to pet the calves.  What a really nice day.  And to find out that DS can have some of the best ice cream available in our state was such a surprise!  (Many years ago, they had a hand-written sign that basically indicated that it was not safe for PA.  Times have changed.)

USA

Jemma2

That is so fantastic!  I'm so glad for how it all turned out!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview