FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Butterball-safe?  (Read 5015 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

Butterball-safe?
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:24:45 PM »
does anyone use butterball turkeys and other butterball products? I know they changed hands a while back and we haven't used them since way before that.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline SweetandSour

Re: Butterball-safe?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:00:26 AM »
I do. We haven't had any issues with them. They always seem to have the juiciest turkeys.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline nutless

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 04:53:54 PM »
We still haven't used them, as they used to use pn oil. I've called Jenni-o (maybe 2 weeks agao) and they are nut free.
DS (13) Allergic to peanuts/tree nuts/soy/sesame
USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
Got this. Weird thing is, I didn't ask about any particular product.

Thank you for inquiring about allergens in Butterball products.

We are pleased to let you know that Butterball products containing one of the “Big 8” allergens - wheat, eggs, soy, milk, fish, shellfish, peanuts and tree nuts – are clearly labeled on the package. Since formulations often change, we always encourage consumers with allergies to read the packages carefully.

The product you inquired about contain neither tree nuts or peanuts as we have neither in any of our facilities. Please feel free to contact us again with any further questions.

Sincerely,
Jessica Griggs
Consumer Response Representative
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 08:03:40 AM »
I thought the issue with Butterball lunch meat (deli) was peanut oil (so technically they are right if they say they are free of the top-8 since peanut oil is not considered an allergen, I disagree but whatever the FDA knows better  ~)).

But it was my understanding the Butterball turkeys were done in their own facility seperate from the lunchmeat which is done in another.  I know many on my local board trust them.

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:30:08 PM »
That is my understanding as well YKW.

I have used them three times a year for the past four years without issues.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline lala

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 08:06:48 PM »
I spoke with them last week.  They told me they have nothing containing peanuts.  I then asked about PEANUT OIL and they said, "Yes, it has peanut oil, but not peanuts itself.  It is safe for those with peanut allergies to consume this type of peanut oil."  I asked her if she would feed it to one of her children if they had a life-threatening to peanuts.  She was silent and then stated, "I completely understand if you choose not to feed this to your child."

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 02:43:15 AM »
thanks. i think I'll just avoid completely. A company that just assumes peanut oil is fine is one that I'd rather just skip.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA