login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Dog allergies  (Read 1592 times)

Description:

Offline QsMommy

Dog allergies
« on: November 07, 2011, 07:30:27 AM »
Hi,

My 9 year old son has an allergy to dogs.  This past weekend we stayed with friends who have 2 dogs.  DS had a bad asthma attack shortly after arriving to their house.

Prior to the trip I did 3 days of antihistamine and ventolin (allergists suggestion).  While at the house we continued with the ventolin and had to give benadryl.  We ended up leaving early.

Any suggestions of how I can keep DS from having another reaction, or at least a less severe reaction, other then not visiting these friends?

TIA
Ali
Canada

Offline GingerPye

Re: Dog allergies
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 08:41:13 AM »
My folks will have their dog boarded at the "doggy motel" before we come.  That's the only suggestion I have.  That and make sure they vacuum like there's no tomorrow.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline krasota

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 12:27:42 PM »
Before DH did allergy shots, he just couldn't stay indoors for very long in homes with dogs.  He'd have to use different inhalers, be on maintenance allergy and asthma meds, and still spend most of the visit outdoors.  Made wintertime rough.

When staying with my parents back when they had a house, we put filters over the furnace vents (or closed them and used extra blankets) and added a HEPA filtration unit to the room.  And we kept the dogs out of that room (my old room).  So he could stay up there if he didn't want to be outside.  Dog dander isn't as sticky as the cat allergens, so vacuuming and wiping down the walls can help quite a bit.  This is a guy who had issues just being outdoors at a dog park, though, so it was rather rough.

When my allergy bucket is full, I can't really go in homes with cats.  Normally, my meds will give me about two hours before a bad asthma attack.  Right now, it might be five minutes.  It's just how it is.  I'll probably need my inhaler today because cat-living friends are coming to my house.  :/ 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:29:46 PM by krasota »
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »
My younger DH had this problem as well, and at age 17 has only recently been able to go into some (well, really only one) homes with dogs.  When he was younger he would hive up from them licking or nuzzling him, then it progressed to a serious reaction (hives, swelling, asthma, etc.) from just walking in the house.

My best advice unfortunately, is to avoid these homes.  Not easy, I know.  DS's best friend's home has been off limits for over 5 years now.  And they have poodles.  ~)

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US