login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Questioning food used in classroom  (Read 1887 times)

Description:

Offline DrummersMom

Questioning food used in classroom
« on: November 08, 2011, 05:49:29 AM »
DS's plan says teacher needs to ask me about any food used in the classroom.  Last week I was not notified when macaroni was used for a writing lesson - the elbow macaroni were the commas and quotation marks. Not only was food used, there was a sub that day. DS chose not to touch the macaroni and had a classmate help him. I was proud of him for advocating for himself. 

Upon questioning the teacher, I was told the macaroni did not contain his allergens, although based upon DS's description  of the package I suspect there was a may contain warning for egg. DS is allergic to egg. DS is in 4th grade and likely wasn't at risk if he handled the macaroni but who knows.

So, would you have questioned the teacher about it? My feeling is if I don't bring it up then it opens the door to other foods being used without contacting me first. Do I let DS start advocating for himself more?

Offline SilverLining

Re: Questioning food used in classroom
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 07:36:10 AM »
I do think it's a good idea for him to start advocating for himself......but that doesn't mean throwing him to the wolves.

If his plan says you are to be notified, then I think talking to the teacher about this is appropriate.

Offline Carefulmom

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
Is his plan a 504 or is it an IHP?  If it is a 504, then this is a 504 violation.  I would document it in writing.  I cannot even count the number of times I and others on this board have been told food is safe for our kids when it is not.  Dd was told cookies did not have milk and when she read the label, butter was listed.  One person on this board had a teacher tell her child a dessert was safe for nut allergy and it clearly had a nut warning.  I would not take teacher`s word that it was safe, if your 504 says that you are to be informed in advance.  I would write a short letter to the 504C, something like "Dear ____, I wanted to let you know that ds`s 504 was violated on ___ (date) when macaroni was used in a classroom project.  Per his 504, I am supposed to be notified in advance if food is going to be used.  Thank you for your attention to this situation.  Sincerely,  ____". 

On the other hand if he does not have a 504 or IEP and his plan is only an IHP, then I think you are stuck.  If he has a 504 or IEP, I would nip this in the bud.  Seriously.  If the 504 indicates that only you can decide if the food is safe (by requiring that you be told in advance), they need to follow that.  The next time it could be something with bigger consequences.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
I'd also add to your "concerns" with how the project was handled:

a) insufficient notice for YOU to check the safety of the food used in the project (am I reading you correctly that you were NOT notified in advance?  or was it that you were only notified a few hours ahead of time and not given a real chance to evaluate safety?)

b) the sub.  OMG, using food without a parent's approval when there is a sub is a recipe for DISASTER.  SERIOUS disaster...  because you're elevating risk for a reaction at a time when appropriate recognition and treatment are also likely to be impaired.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 11:34:56 AM »
Benefit of the doubt, here, though--

is it possible that the teacher really didn't understand that this was a "use of food" in the classroom?

Many non-FA persons don't see "food" unless it's specifically an activity which involves the intentional CONSUMPTION of food.

If that's the problem, then you'll need to be aware of the mindset and work to educate your classroom teacher about the risks of contact with allergens.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline MamaMia

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 11:17:17 AM »
I would bring it back to whatever the accommodations states w/regards to "food used in classroom".  Don't entertain the argument about whether or not "it may contain" an allergen.  If the accommodation stated you were to be notified prior to the food being used, then THAT'S the conversation that needs to take place.  Period.

As for advocating, yes he should advocate for himself.  Good for him doing so.  However, like SilverLining said, not an excuse to throw him to the wolves.  Also, if he sees that his teachers don't understand the plan, it may create anxiety for him.  I would definitely have a conversation with the teacher to confirm he/she understands the plan and HOW it's suppose to be implemented.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 11:19:49 AM by AdvocateByFate »

Offline DrummersMom

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 11:48:39 AM »
Thanks All! Yes, it is a 504 plan. It reads "teacher will check with parents when using food.... all foods must be free of allergens." So it is a violation because she didn't check with me in advance. DS explained the whole thing days later.

Despite a few minor issues, this teacher has been the best (easiest) to deal with since DS started school. I have requested that she notify me from now on and expect she will.

The whole sub aspect makes me more nervous than the specific food that was used.  I am so glad that DS really understands the "rules" and his plan. If anything seems off, he takes precautions and advocates for himself.