FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Flu Shot & Egg Allergies  (Read 2464 times)

Description:

Offline mumaluke

Flu Shot & Egg Allergies
« on: November 09, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »
Hi All,

Not sure if this has been posted before...

New Recommendations for the Flu Vaccine and Egg Allergies

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/11/08/new-recommendations-for-flu-vaccine-and-egg-allergies/#ixzz1dEnQDeB3

Offline my3guys

Re: Flu Shot & Egg Allergies
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
Thank you! And thanks to your story, both egg allergic kiddos are vaccinated this year! :heart:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »
Thanks!!  I am so incredibly thankful for people like your family, mumaluke.  You are really making a great difference with your advocacy work. 

I was just thinking about your family and coming to post this-- but you beat me to it.   :smooch:

Our allergist told us about this study recently at our appointment with him. He's been vaccinating most of the egg-allergic kiddos in his practice this year (and last); even DD (with clear anaphylaxis history) got her first flu shot this year!

ACAAI: Flu Vaccine Safe for Kids With Severe Egg Allergy
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »
I really wish that this information was more available to flu shot providers - only one of my doctors is willing to vaccinate me, and the funny thing is that it isn't even my allergist.  And I'm not even high risk - my egg allergy is mild, I've had probably 15 or 20 flu shots in my life (my old pulmo did flu shots twice a year), and have only once or twice gotten a few hives from the shot.

Thank you so much for spreading the message.  As soon as I can get of prednisone for more than a week I'll be getting my flu shot and thinking of you.

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 03:01:45 PM »
I heard a report on the radio the other day about how many kids died of H1N1 and all I could think of was I "knew" one of them.  We also know an IRL child that died of it as well.  sigh.

Off for the jag tomorrow.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 07:45:25 PM »
DD had her very first flu shot a few weeks ago -- egg-allergic --- and did just fine (it was done in two parts). 

DS had his very first flu shot yesterday -- egg-allergic also --- and also did just fine.  I think they hit a nerve with the needle because I listened to about an hour of whining about his arm first feeling numb and then hurting all the way down.  But otherwise, no sign of reaction at all.  Not even swelling or a lump at the injection site.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline joanna5

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 01:16:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Our allergists also give it.  My youngest got his already and my oldest goes tomorrow. 
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »
 :bye:  Hello!  and thanks for sharing.

DD was suppose to have her's on Halloween until a freak storm closed the doctor's office.  She goes in a couple weeks to have it at her allergist's office.  The rest of us got our vaccine.

Offline Momcat

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 11:25:18 PM »
We're all vaccinated, including egg-allergic DS :)

Thanks for posting this important reminder!
DD13 Allergic to Peanuts, outgrew egg, milk 2002.
DS9 Outgrew egg 2012, milk 2005.
Currently Home Schooling