Desensitization Programs in the US -- OIT SLIT SCIT

Started by SouptoNuts, November 14, 2011, 07:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macabre

It's timely that ajas brought this up.  I was planning to, because yesterday over my lunch break I made an appointment for DS with Dr. Mary, and we got in in just a few weeks!! She had a cancellation.  It's about 3 hours away, but we used to travel that far to see Wesley Burks at Duke.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

ajasfolks2

Wanting to esp get updated info for northern Virginia as well as Maryland . . .

Thanks for bumping.  Brain could not recall the thread title . . .

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

ajasfolks2

Please merge -- I would have done it myself, but am too rusty on how-to and didn't want to goof it up.

ajasfolks2

Wondering where Dr. Robert Wood is on OIT these days.

In 2010 he was on board with the "not ready for primetime" thinking as to OIT.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2904630/

Now?  Anyone know?

Wondering how his views might affect the list of providers for OIT in the NoVa and Maryland areas?

Macabre

ajas--call Scott Commins at UVA. He was doing a trial that we ultimately weren't a part of because they changed the level to 15.  And, um, we moved.  They enroll 10 kids at a time. You just pay for gas to Cville.

His trial is based on Burks'. While Burks was still at Duke (now he's at UNC Chapel Hill), Commins spent a great deal of time down there to learn the protocol.  Burks was the one who told us about the UVA trial.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

momtoAidenDeclan

Last I heard Woods was doing it as a study only - not sure of the criteria to "get in on it" but I know you had to be a patient there and at this point we don't have the time + we just lost TN and only have PN and am feeling pretty good about where we are at the moment....I am waiting for it to become "primetime"....if ds wanted me to push it I would.
Never mistake motion for action. ~~
Ernest Hemingway

DS#1 1/23/2000 - PA
DS#2 10/23/2003 - NKA - Type 1 diabetes
me - environmental and sulfa drug allergies...periods of mystery hives over the years....

ajasfolks2

ajasfolks2

ajasfolks2

Might be double post, but wanted to link to other thread here.

Oral and sublingual peanut immunotherapy not for general use.

~ ~ ~

I'm hearing the "not ready for prime time" (verbatim) from allergists in the No Virginia area . . . wondering if this is their standard response until there is either greater acceptance in the allergist community and/or more failure in the OIT results?

Just wondering . . .

ajasfolks2

And linking to another thread here, but also possibly a repeat link into this thread.

Dd's OIT for PA, an update

Katy

Dr. Whitney Molis in Des Moines, Iowa offers a good program @ Adult and Pediatric Allergy and Asthma. My 6yo PN daughter will be graduating this fall! She went from being afraid and hating her doses....to now she shells her own peanuts and takes them on her own. It's been a long road, but worth it. She is so thrilled that she gets to be a "regular kid" at school this year (her own words). No special tables, no special snacks, no missing out on birthday treats! This is why we are doing it. She is so happy. Our insurance also covers it!

LinksEtc

"Food Allergy - Twitter summary from 2013 #AAAAI meeting"
http://allergynotes.blogspot.com/2013/02/food-allergy-twitter-summary-from-2013.html

QuoteThe amount of time on maintenance dose makes a big difference. Longer duration of OIT is more effective.

QuoteHow long can maintenance dose be held before "sustained unresponsiveness" can be claimed? We still don't know.

QuoteIs tolerance the goal? Is it even possible in severely allergic patients? Might desensitization be sufficient? This is all up for discussion.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview