Boy Scouts

Started by tigerlily, November 14, 2011, 08:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerlily

DS has enjoyed Cub Scouts and food has been a minor issue as either myself or DH have been present. Same with camping trips--we could either cook for the entire den or else cook for our family. DS is a Webelos 2 and would move onto Boy Scouts soon.

All outings in Boy Scouts are done without parents. Even dads. All food is planned, purchased, and prepared by the kids. Lots of staples like PB&J, trail mix, tuna fish.

How have some folks handled here?
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

hedgehog

In our case by dropping out of scouts at that point.  There were other factors as well--that DS just was not mature, organized, or self-motivated enough to keep track of what he has done on his own, that the meetings were way too late in the evening for him at that time (they started close to when his bedtime was then).  It really seemed geared more to the older scouts, many of whom were driving themselves to the meetings, and less toward the younger guys just graduating from Webelos.  So food was one factor, but not the only one involved in DS dropping out.

USA

tigerlily

I should have given a bit more background--we don't let DS do sleepovers, we chaperone all field trips etc. I wanted to see if any members had workaround solutions. Seems like we'll need to find another activity. I just can't trust a scoutmaster with food allergies and DH, while he'd likely become an assistant or something to attend all the outings and meetings, I think there are too many obstacles.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

nutless

My DH had to become the assistant leader. Thankfully the Scout leader gets it and made our troop peanut free so we aren't dealing with pb&j. If it weren't a nut free troop and DH wasn't the assistant I would pull DS out. For campouts I send a cooler filled with similar food for DH and DS. DH bought a tiny, propane fueled grill that only our food goes on. It is a HUGE PAIN but DS LOVES it so...
DS (13) Allergic to peanuts/tree nuts/soy/sesame
USA

Mfamom

Well, we were fortunate that my ds and dh knew some of the older Scouts/Leaders pretty well.  The Scout in charge of buying the food actually took my ds with him and he let my ds help plan the meals (chili for dinner, eggs/bacon for breakfast, can't remember the other meals)
That was really awesome experience for my ds. 
My dh went on one overnight camping trip (I think because he was a Cub Scout leader of the newly advanced Boy Scouts)
The other time, I let him sleepover without dh, but there was a leader who is a nurse and another a doctor.  I was really nervous, but everone was great.
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Janelle205

Not experienced with boy scouts, but do have a lot of wilderness tripping experience leading trips for kids.

I hope that you can work this out for your son to participate as much as he wants to.  I just wanted to add in my two cents - I would personally not be comfortable going on a wilderness trip where my most potent allergen was served (apples).  I've had contact/ingestion ana from them, and the back country is not really a place where you can easily thoroughly wash your hands - and we all know that hand sanitizer isn't going to do anything for allergens but smear them around.  I don't know how sensitive your son is, but because of the sheer difficulty of frequent, thorough hand washing, I would want to ask for all the meals to be free of his most potent allergen(s).  When you talk to the people in charge - have a list of alternatives in your head (sunbutter, cooked chicken in the foil pouch or safe summer sausage instead of tuna, etc.).  A lot of times I've found that people are more willing to accommodate when you can point out that there are pretty simple safe substitutes that do the same thing.

tigerlily

Thanks for the feedback. Helps to know the different past experiences. Now to think about that and middle school options, and how to address summer programs (that have clauses like "we don't administer but help the child administer epinephrine"  :insane:

Eventually I will have to address the summer program issue as DS will age out of the wonderful summer program he has now. Middle school is around the corner. I might have to pace myself.....
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

CookieMomster

We met with the scoutmaster when my ds crossed over from Webelos to Boy Scouts, and realized pretty quickly that the patrol cooking method would not work with his multiple food allergies.  We decided that it would be best that he prepare all of his own meals, but can say grace and eat with his fellow patrol members. 

He has his own cookstove, small cooler, grubmaster box (pots, pans, utensils, potholder, etc), and dishwashing tubs that he brings on all the outings.  We purchased all of these items in bright red so the would be easy to distiguish from the (mostly green) troop gear.

Since crossing over to Boy Scouts in February, he has been on about 1/2 dozen weekend campouts and attended summer camp for a week in July.  Ds can now set-up and light his stove, and preare a few simple meals for himself.  Warming up soup is an easy one to start with.  Since soap and water are not always readily available (nor widely used) on campouts, ds uses WetOnes to clean his hands before eating or cooking.

I have been accompanying him on the campouts for now, to teach him the cooking skills he needs to be self-sufficient, to teach the other scouts why it is important to not touch his food/cooking equipment, and to educate the scoutmaster and assistant scoutmasters.   Our troop of 50 boys has about a dozen asst scoutmasters and many many parent volunteers/committee members.  Parents are very active in our troop and are always welcome to attend any outing.

Our biggest challenge lately, has been keeping his epi-pens warm - at our campout last weekend, temps dropped below freezing.  DS carries his epi-pens in a fanny pack, under his coat, but at night, we needed to remind him to keep his meds in his sleeping bag with him, close to his body so they wouldn't freeze.

Boy Scouts is a wonderful, wholesome organization that teaches leadership, good citizenship, life skills, and appreciation for the outdoors.  It provides so many wonderful experiences and opportunities that we did not want ds to miss out on, just because of his food allergies, so we are trying to make it work.  Most of the campouts he has attended so far have been what we consider "car camping"  - drive to a location (usually a boy scout camp or a state park), set up camp and stay there for the weekend.   We are not comfortable with backpacking or canoe trips to remote areas at this time, and I'm not sure if/when ds will be able to participate in these if he wants to.

DS (16) - NKA
DS (12) - milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, cherries, and watermelon.  (Outgrew corn, wheat, soy, peas, and green beans.)
Environmental allergies to mold, trees and grasses. 
OAS to almost all fresh fruit and vegetables except citrus and grapes

tigerlily

Thank you! It helps to know the full experience. I've been away from checking online for a few days so was very happy to see your response.
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview