FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Chocolate Chip/Baking Chocolate Help Needed  (Read 3768 times)

Description:

Offline kay_78

Chocolate Chip/Baking Chocolate Help Needed
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:37:32 PM »
Hi!  My son had a reaction to peanuts and while both the ER doctor and his own doctor were not sure if it was a true allergic reaction until I can get him tested (in the new year unfortunately) I am assuming he is allergic.  I have every day meals sorted out and thankfully Canada as a lot of peanut free facility products in grocery stores but baking for the holidays is confusing me.  I cannot find chocolates anywhere that are safe so I was thinking of making my own.  But I don't understand what baking chocolate is safe and what is not.  If I see a "may contain" or "shared equipment" label I know that's a no.  But what about baking chocolate with no warning?  Is that safe?  Is it safe to use chocolate chips and baking chocolate that does not have an allergy warning but is not also a peanut free facility?  What brands have you used that were safe??  Thank you so much for any help.  I'm trying to make the holidays as safe for my son as I can.   :)

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Chocolate Chip/Baking Chocolate Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:56:47 PM »
Welcome!

This can all be really overwhelming, and having a new dx (or questionable dx) at this time of year is especially challenging.  :console:

I'm not sure if the rules in Canada are the same as they are in the U.S., but here "may contain" and the like are voluntary, so you can't assume that just because it doesn't have a warning, it's safe.

Hopefully some of our Canadian members will come on and have some good suggestions on safe brands.

What kind of reactions did your son have, and how old is he?
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
I'm in Canada.  I use Hershey's chocolate chips.  Read the labels each time though, some flavours do have *trace amounts* and I never use them.

I think some of the no-name brands are safe too, but I'm not positive.  If you have a cell phone with ou in the grocery store the numbers are listed on the back of the packages.  PC, no-name, selection,....they can all usually give you the information right away.

Also, there shoul be a recent post by me about safe coconut for baking.  I'll try to find it.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »
Apparently I posted in a different forum.   :hiding:  So I'll put it here.

I ccalled Dalton's to see if their coconut is still safe for peanut/nut allergies.  It is....but I can't find it anywhere.  The woman I spoke with in their Stayner plant said they make the coconut sold under the store labels Compliments and Selection.

I also use Dalton's cherries, and either Jaffa raisins (which is Dalton as well) or SunMaid raisins.

Offline kay_78

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »
Thanks for the help and advice.  I'm going to go back to the grocery store and check Hershey and PC - I know they are good if you call them.

My son is 13 months and reacted to trying peanut butter on a cracker.  There is no family history of food allergies and we were given the okay to try it by the doctor.  He had several crackers (at least 6-7) with a thin layer of peanut butter smeared on each.  The first thing I noticed was that he was rubbing his eyes and cheeks.  But that is very normal for him as he was tired from having been up in the night.  Also, he has sensitive skin and some eczema and he wipes food all over his face which irritates his skin on a daily basis at meals.  What I didn't like was about 20 minutes after eating the peanut butter his cheeks were flushed.  He had no other signs, no swelling or wheezing, no difficulty breathing, no hives, but his flushed cheeks seemed itchy.  Again, he has itchy skin a lot but never flushed.  When I changed his diaper I noticed a few raised bumps on his neck (no more than 5) and one on his chest.  Eventually he had two on the back on his left hand but that was all.  When I called his doctor she said to take him to the ER to be checked out.  He did not have a fever or low blood pressure and they gave him Benadryl and monitored him for 2 hours.  He just slept and woke up just fine.  Since he had what looked like hives they told me to keep away from peanuts/nuts until he could see an allergist.  His reactive skin makes it hard to identify reactions that are allergies.  At one point I thought he was reacting to eggs because the second time he tried them his patches of eczema all went bright red for 20 minutes or so but when (at the doctor's request) he tried them for 3 days in a row he didn't react the second and third days.   All new foods seem to trigger a reaction the first few times he eats them but I didn't feel right about peanuts since nothing has ever triggered hives.  So now we are waiting until March to be tested for allergies.  The first few days seemed overwhelming but it's been a few weeks now and it's actually not as overwhelming as I thought it would be.  Well, not at his current age where I can keep an eye on what he eats at all times!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:29:09 PM »
So, you are now trying to avoid all traces of nuts and peanuts?  If it turns out he is allergic to them (and it sounds like he might be) you may notice an over-all improvement.  Quite often kids are reacting to trace amounts of an allergen (exzema, sensitive skin, etc.)

Six

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 08:23:45 AM »
If you are looking for 'safe chocolates' instead of making them, Cella's Chocolate covered cherries are the safe boxed chocolates we've found.  They are made by Tootsie and are nut/peanut free.  Their website is below and dollarama use to sell the box for $2.00. 
http://www.tootsie.com/products.php?pid=114
(if you click on the link on the right of that page, it confirms the 'nut free/peanut free' status.

If you still are game in making your own, Andes baking chips are also made by Tootie.  They have plain milk chocolate chips and mint chocolate chips  http://www.tootsie.com/products.php?pid=101

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:28:50 AM by Seven »

Offline Scout

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
we use hersheys,......and I believe----double check----Guittard only has on shared lines with milk...****pretty clear statement on website....almonds in plant but not run on lines, no peanuts in Guittard plant.......double check for yourself though...just to be sure.

also......Google Enjoy life and vermmont nut free.......

oh and Peanut free Planet will be a good resource for candy/baking goods.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:56:11 PM by Scout »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 03:00:57 PM »
Also, I think Baker's chocolate is safe in Canada.  I haven't used it in ages, but I remember candyguru mentioning that he uses it.  It's by Kraft (which is trusted more in Canada then in the US).

Offline AllergyMum

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 07:24:11 AM »
we are in canada. We use Enjoy Life brand.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 05:21:41 PM »
kay_78, that is so similar to my dd's reaction at 18 months old.  She is now 12.  The rubbing of the face, flushing, etc...  There is also a mailorder for Guittard if it is not carried in stores.  i think I have a thread with it in the title(Gueiitard) in this section).  They were very speedy and had a coupon when I ordered a couple of weeks ago.  I beleive they send to Canada as well.  I think I saw that on the site.

http://worldwidechocolate.com/shop_guittard.html  Here it is.  it was under the manufacturers'/packaged foods board.  You will find that area very helpful too.

Welcome,

becca
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 05:30:56 PM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy