Miracle Noodles

Started by kouturekat, November 30, 2011, 09:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kouturekat

Has anyone tried these?  They've gotten rave reviews!  It's almost calorie-free pasta :) .  There are several comments on the site about gluten/wheat free so I thought posting the link might help a few people here with MFAs.

https://www.miraclenoodle.com/default.aspx
Formerly RM, ryansmom,

"I'm well aware I'm not everyone's cup of tea...I'd rather be someone's shot of tequila anyway."

catelyn

Yes, I have had similar things from the asin super market.  They are a REALLY bizarre texture. 

twinturbo

Just noting here that these are generically shirataki noodles, made from yams. It's not a new product or made only by this company. I'm only saying this in case anyone can't find the specific brand. Typically shirataki are used in sukiyaki or other light stews... it soaks up flavor like crazy and is a bit on the chewy side for anyone that hasn't tried it before. I'm not sure it'd be a great wheat noodle replacement per se due to texture so word of warning before you buy a ton of it. You may want to try it out first.

ETA: Pulled over to post while on the go to warn that some shirataki noodles are made from soy. Not always, but sometimes.

twinturbo

Some things to mull over regarding konnyaku if you want to add it to your cooking.

Konnyaku, aka konjac, aka shirataki or yam thread noodle is a fibrous root with extremely gelatinous properties. It comes in flour to be used as a thickener or gelatin, prepared candy jellies and noodles. It has no taste of its own but takes on (very yummily) savory tastes from meat or mushroom, or sweet fruits. I love it, I grew up on shirataki and the jelly candies but the idea of using as a replacement for all your grains might not be the best idea considering how fibrous and gelatinous it is. It's not a grain or pseudograin like rice or quinoa. I've never heard of anyone living on it exclusively over a lifetime as a "starch" and I for one would not use it for my kids as a grain replacement, though I'd definitely use it without hesitation in the appropriate foods as part of a varied diet.

The texture to me is wonderful, not as wonderfully crisp as jellyfish (which I also love) but close and it is eyes-roll-back-in-the-head delicious in second day old sukiyaki after steeping in the fridge overnight. The jellyfish comparison may turn some people off but if you've had sai fun bean thread noodles you've already had something pretty close. AND, if you can't have gelatin, konnyaku flour would be an awesome replacement as would water chestnut flour. The only problem with water chestnut flour is it's so touchy when it comes to overcooking it's really easy to end up with vulcanized rubber.

Now, as to which other allergens I would be concerned about, for sure if you're avoiding soy be sure to avoid the tofu shirataki. Additionally, I'm not sure if egg would be a problem because of this:

QuoteShirataki noodles are made by processing the root of the konjac plant also called konnyaku potatoes, and which are then combined with calcium hydroxide extracted from egg shells.

All in all, konjac could be a terrific dietary addition in noodle or flour form but I could see being disappointed if the expectations are that of mainly a wheat noodle replacement. That's not what it is and despite the English translation of yam or potato, it's botanically neither and until you know how that much root fiber is going to digest it might be wise to go slow at first.

FWIW we have one child with a severe LTFA to grains such as barley.

kouturekat

Thanks for the comments!  This particular brand got rave reviews, and DH, DD#2, and I (no food allergies) are looking forward to this pasta alternative.  It is not for Ryan, although Ryan could eat it because he is only PA.  He is a XC and T&F runner and needs his carbs.  XC runners are known for their pasta parties during the season lol.
Formerly RM, ryansmom,

"I'm well aware I'm not everyone's cup of tea...I'd rather be someone's shot of tequila anyway."

krasota

I do find that konnyaku has a very weird off smell/taste, but I think it's from the plastic bag.  I don't mind the texture, but the flavor reminds me of freezer burn.  I've eaten the noodles quite often, but don't go out of my way to get them.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

lala

becca

I have used shiritaki noodles as well, for Asian noodle soup that I make.  Kids have not tried it, so I cannot vouch for peanut allergy safety.  But agreed they are not a wheat noodle replacement due to texture but wonderful in their own right in the right kinds of dishes. 

becca
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview