Keeping epi's warm

Started by brownie, December 05, 2011, 08:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownie

I read the thread about boy scouts.  Similar situation...DS11 (PA) is going on a winter campout with the boyscouts this saturday.  DH is going, it's close by, the leader's an EMT, we will supply whatever food necessary.  My concern is the temperatures.  It is supposed to be 20 degrees on Saturday night.  Is there any way to keep the epi warm?  but obviously not too warm?

We have a frio for the heat, so we've solved that problem!

Brownie (the system doesn't seem to recognize my old id :) )
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

nameless

body heat?  does he have an Epi carrier?  If not - one of those travel wallet things that go around your torso with a strap and hold an Epi close to the body under warm clothes and next to skin.

Wonder if that'd work?

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

CookieMomster

The best solution we came up with is to wear the epi-pens in his fanny pack under his clothing to sleep.  He has a neoprene fanny pack that was designed for runners, so it's pretty flat.  Not the most comfortable solution, but we wanted to protect the epis with his body heat.    I really like the travel wallet idea - the more light-weight fabric might keep the epi-pens even closer to the skin, and seems like it would be more comfortable.

We also had a couple of those body warmers (like hand warmers, but slightly bigger) in the sleeping bag - one at the feet, and one at the torso.  They last 16 hours, and were still nice and toasty by morning.  I considered putting one of the handwarmers with the epis, but didn't know if they had the potential to get too hot.  The toe warmers are even smaller, and maybe produce less heat (but probably don't last as long)???

One winter camping tip we learned from the troop is to use a self-inflating air mattress, like Thermarest, rather than a foam sleeping mat.  Having a cushion of air between you and the ground is better protection from the cold.  We actually used both the foam and air sleeping pads on our last campout.  And a fleece sleeping bag liner.
DS (16) - NKA
DS (12) - milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, cherries, and watermelon.  (Outgrew corn, wheat, soy, peas, and green beans.)
Environmental allergies to mold, trees and grasses. 
OAS to almost all fresh fruit and vegetables except citrus and grapes

hedgehog

I think either keep it the sleeping bag with him, or use one of the heat packs, with a buffer (a towel or something) in between, and then wrapped loosely (again with a towel, clothes, etc).
USA

spacecanada

I wear my EpiPens in a stretchy carrier and wear it around my waist.  Jump in a sleeping bag and it stays toasty warm.  I've also been known to take it off and toss it down by my feet and it stays warm there too.  It may depend on the sleeping bag though - it has to be warm.  A girl in my Guide unit had an EpiPuppy - a little stuffed toy that she could put her EpiPens into and bring that into her sleeping bag. 

Have a fun camp!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

MandCmama

The stretchy epi belts from Onespot allergy would be perfect for this! So far we've used ours sledding, Santa parade, and Santa train.
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview