Allergens in eye drops

Started by DrummersMom, December 08, 2011, 02:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrummersMom

aggiedog

Food allergens, or chemicals in general?  I don't know of any, though I'll admit I've never researched it.

DrummersMom

Foods? Nurse tried to give some to FA DS today. He spoke up and told her to call his mom.  :happydance:  She didn't call and he didn't get the drops.

maeve

DD uses Patanol without issue.  Allergy issues aside, the nurse should not be giving your child any medications--even over the counter--without your consent.  Our school clinic calls even before administering tylenol (even though we've given our consent on school forms for it to be administered).  They however, do not call when giving DD her inhaler (though the clinic aide will email me to let me know if DD has used it more than once per day--she's awesome that way).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

DrummersMom

I know nothing should be administered, except what is in his plan, and will be alerting the school.

maeve

Quote from: DrummersMom on December 08, 2011, 04:59:20 PM
I know nothing should be administered, except what is in his plan, and will be alerting the school.

Sorry.  Didn't mean to come off preachy in my post. 

USA-Virginia

DrummersMom

Quote from: maeve on December 08, 2011, 05:00:43 PM
Quote from: DrummersMom on December 08, 2011, 04:59:20 PM

Sorry.  Didn't mean to come off preachy in my post.

No need to apologize. I didn't take it as being preachy.  ;)

Four issues with school this week, so my tone, even in writing, has been a bit blunt lately.

maeve

Oh DrummersMom,
Sorry you're dealing with so many issues this week.  I hope things get resolved and better for you and your son.

I was thinking about this thread driving in to work today.  I had the ick moment of realizing that this nurse was sharing a bottle of eye drops with how many people? Gross.  (Unless she has single dropper packets of the drops.)

USA-Virginia

DrummersMom

Thanks Maeve. Even without dealing with FAs I thought of the sharing a bottle of eye drops to be unsanitary. Emailed the regular nurse today but never heard back. I'm just glad DS spoke up as he hasn't been lately.

Carefulmom

I don`t think it is even legal for her to use the same dropper in one child`s eye and then another child`s eye, unless the dropper is washed, and wouldn`t it be kind of impossible to thoroughly wash it?  She could spread conjunctivitis from one kid to another that way.  I have never heard of a nurse admistering eye drops that are not prescription drops for a specific child.  It is one thing to give Tylenol or Advil to control a fever, but since when do red eyes need to be treated immediately?  Unless she thinks it is conjunctivitis, and then Visine won`t work.  And that would be all the more reason not to be sharing bottles between kids.

Mfamom

Yeah, the Visine at school is ODD! 
I cannot imagine school nurse having anything except a saline rinse in single use container. 
I know in elem. school, I needed to turn in a paper for my ds to use even OTC hand cream. 

I would ask a lot of questions about the Visine!
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

DrummersMom

DS did say "Vise In" which made me think of Visine. Wonder if it wasn't some sort of eye rinse? Regardless I don't want anything given to him unless I've approved it and said so in my email.

The other thing I thought of is maybe the sub nurse thought he was someone else. That's scary!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview