Preparing your FA child for college

Started by my3guys, December 09, 2011, 04:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

my3guys

Since I'm blocking this out as it's years away, I haven't read the presentation...but for anyone who has college approaching:

http://healthcare.partners.org/streaming/MGH/food_allergy/2011.10.19_MGH_Allergy_Speaker_01.html

Check out the link above.

Edit: link fixed.

Carefulmom

Thank you!  Have not looked at it yet.  It is too depressing for me.  But I will look at it over the weekend.  I cannot imagine that I will let dd go away to school with the milk allergy.  Yet my friends (who do not have food allergy kids) are horrified every time I say that.  The incident in Georgia has made me even more reluctant to let dd go away to school.  My friends say she knows what to eat and what not to.  Um...yeah, but it isn`t dd`s judgment I am worried about.  I have a friend who is a teacher who went on and on about her 504 will protect her in college, legally the school has to accomodate....blah blah blah.  His own child is special needs with an IEP.  I said, "Do you really think a mistake has never been made?  Do you believe a 504 or IEP has never been violated?"  He got quiet after that.  Anyhow, thanks My3guys.

YouKnowWho

Unless DS1 can afford an off campus apartment (though more schools in our area are going to on-campus apartment/townhomes), there is just no way.  He needs access to a kitchen if he wants to eat safely and balanced.

DS2 - different story.  I think the nature of the allergens make a huge difference.  Gluten and egg are more limiting (as milk would be) then certain dried beans, peanuts and possibly tree nuts.  Not being able to get dessert is different than not being able to get a balanced meal in general.

And there is the drinking, drugs and sex.  Which scares parents who have no allergies but for us it adds a whole new perspective because it's not just the life or death issues, it's the imminent life or death issues.  And I know some kids wouldn't do it or are not likely to do it but DS2 is freaking impulsive, has always been part of his nature since birth - can't see him growing out of it.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Carefulmom

Good point.  And even if you know that your child won`t get drunk or do drugs (not saying mine never would, just saying hypothetically), is their epipen trained friend at that party going to be too drunk to administer if your college child is unable to?  That was brought up at the teen session at the FAAN conference.  I was just thinking today about how some of dd`s teachers have dropped the ball, but I don`t worry much because dd is older and her friends are epi trained, but if they are drunk....

catelyn

Partying is partying.  You don't have to be away at school to be a party animal.  I lived at home and I was always the sober one at the frat parties.  Its where I learned to love watching drunk people LOL.  Most of the people we partied with were locals.  The thought of the "new" Baileys with hazelnut has me scared for Helga when she is older.  I don't know how you get around the scary combo of food allergies and booze. 

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview