Freaking out!

Started by MandCmama, December 10, 2011, 11:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandCmama

Granted, it was a wee amount, but OMG!!!! DH and I were at a new tiny fancy pizza place. The menu was very limited, so we talked to our server about the boys allergens. He went to the kitchen and spoke to someone. When he came back he said there was a salad with chopped egg, but that was prepared in a different area. We left feeling that this may be a reasonably safe place for us.  We took the leftover pizza home and the boys loved it! Decided to go there with boys today as soon as they opened to give them a nice eating out experience (it's a beautiful Cosmo sit down place).  We told the waitress about the boys allergies and to please speak to the cook re: cross contamination. She came back and said "I'm not sure what the waiter was thinking last time, but our pizza crust has egg in it" I almost threw.up.and.fainted.  It turns out there are 3 single eggs per 80 lbs. of dough. It's also a niche restaurant which coal fires it's pizza, so the crust is slightly charred.  Should I be slightly hopeful that this is a good sign? His initial SEVERE reaction was to a 1/2 cookie worth of baked egg. Allergist appt in 2 weeks- cant wait! 
BTW ended up leaving the restaurant - didn't want to tempt fate. Waitress and chef were cool about it, but must have thought we were nut jobs, lol!
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

GingerPye

OMG is right.  I'd be freakin', too!  But it's def good news and I can't wait to hear what your allergist has to say about it!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Janelle205

Sounds like it could be positive news.  I'll be hoping that your allergist sees it that way, and perhaps baked egg is in your DS's future.

AllergyMum

Wow that sounds pretty good. So glad that there wasn't a reaction.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

rebekahc

That does sound hopeful!  :crossed: 

Can't help wondering though, what's the point of three eggs in 80 pounds of dough?  Can't imagine they'd do anything noticeable to the crust when diluted that much!
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

MandCmama

Quote from: rebekahc on December 12, 2011, 08:33:46 AM
That does sound hopeful!  :crossed: 

Can't help wondering though, what's the point of three eggs in 80 pounds of dough?  Can't imagine they'd do anything noticeable to the crust when diluted that much!

I know, right?!?
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

yelloww

Ds can have very dilluted egg, but not an egg in a mix of brownies. Might open up a few things for you if you can start to do small amounts.

MandCmama

Saw our allergist today. When I told her what happened, she agreed that was a good sign. She said in June we'll skin test him and then discuss possibility of a baked challenge! Starting my prayers now!
Pennsylvania, USA

Stinky6

sounds like a super hot oven.....I'd call back and ask the 'chef" what temp he/she thinks it gets in that oven.  Ask how long the pizzas are in the hot oven too.

good luck

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview