FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: School won't sign 504  (Read 3423 times)

Description:

Offline Kelley2522

School won't sign 504
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »
So my ds's 504 was just now completed due to a lot of feet dragging on the school's part. I asked when would be a good time for me to come in to sign the agreed upon 504. They are telling me there is no signature line and requires no signature by anyone to be in effect.

Is this true or is he jerking me around some more?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: School won't sign 504
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 12:55:45 PM »
TECHNICALLY, I think that this is probably true.

It's true, for example, in the same way that "a 504 plan need not be in writing"  and "a parent need not be included in an eligibility or 504 team" is technically true...

Ill-advised on many counts, of course.... but true.   ~)

I might sweetly respond that you'd feel BETTER if you knew that everyone who helped to write the document could sign off on all that hard work... and that you're sure that the district legal counsel would probably be happier if there were signatures involved.  You know, just to make sure that there aren't any misunderstandings later on.  How unfortunate THAT would be.  After all that work.  You know.

That's how I'd play this one, anyway.

I haven't physically SIGNED a 504 plan for my DD in about four years, btw.  But it's on-file anyway.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline DrummersMom

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:36:33 PM »
I have never signed a 504, but have always been given a copy with the school's letterhead stating "this is the final/revised 504 plan."

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:18:59 PM »
Interesting.  My son's 504 is signed by the team.  Both Parents, Guidance Counselor, Principal and the Teacher who represents all the teachers ds has. 
All teachers he interacts with initial that they have read and received a copy. 

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:13 AM »
Ours was always signed by the principal, teacher, district nurse, health clerk, & Director of Special programs. I think people tend to take things they've signed more seriously, and I would press for a signed document (to make sure that everyone acknowledges the content). They even asked my daughter, a minor, to sign it.

Offline Scout

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 05:46:14 PM »
Our 504 was signed by 11 people...everyoen at the meeting and next to your name a line for yout title.....ex:  Mother, Principal, etc

But maybe that is just to ensure everyone has a copy and has signed that they are aware and agreed to what is in it...