FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Boboli products...  (Read 3152 times)

Description: are they safe for peanut allergic people?

Stinky

Boboli products...
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:03:32 PM »
Hi All,

I see on the boboli website that they do share facilities (SOME) with milk, eggs, soy, almonds, walnuts, peanuts and hazelnuts...... but isn't clear if they label each product specifically....

Do you use them?

It's for a cub scout meeting -  I'm fine with pa ds handling the products after we read labels....but wanted to know if anyone eats them?

thoughts on this company?

thank you!

Offline joshsmom

Re: Boboli products...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:57:31 PM »
We do not. When I called they advised me not to use their products. That was even before the sesame diagnosis. I think it is Momma Mary's or Mia's pizza crust we have used similar to Boboli. I have called on theirs and they said safe for all my son's allergens. Our all time stand by is Pillsbury refrigerated pizza. Can you substitute his so he can eat it? Just call in the am to see if it is ok with you. People have different comfort zones. They wouldn't even tell me if it was on the same lines or different lines. Not helpful to me.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:47:29 AM »

Hi, Stinky    :bye:

We have used Boboli in the past -- nothing on the label at that time -- as I recall the kids did okay with it.  Now, I think Boboli labels for cross-contam.  One of their crusts has milk in it. 

We use the Mama Mary's brand now when we want those small individual pizzas; otherwise, DH makes a pizza crust in the breadmaker.
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »
Thank you both.  Ugh.  Hard to call when I don't have the product in front of me.

I may bring an english muffin instead.....or just let him make it...but not eat it.  My guess is that he wont WANT to eat it. 

you know - I'm going to share something here.....maybe you all will understand and maybe you'll yell at me and maybe no one is reading this thread....

but sometimes I will let him have something like this -  where it's a one time thing  - without calling the company - BUT I wouldn't regularly use the product without doing more research....

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »
Hey, sometimes on a one-time deal, if it seems like something that should be low risk anyway... I just go by the label, too.  I mean, as long as it'd be easy enough to treat a reaction.... so not something we'd do if it were for a thing where DH/I wasn't there... but if we WERE...

so yeah-
  I understand.   :yes:

If it makes you feel any better, I'm pretty sure that we used to get these.  I don't remember if DD ever ate them, though.  I'm thinking probably not since it would have been when she was wheat/soy allergic.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 02:22:09 PM »
We've used Boboli in the past.  I was taking the approach that CM described above.  Cross contamination and shared lines labelling should really be mandatory.  Allow the consumer what level of risk they want to take; at least if it's labelled, it's an informed risk.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 06:08:25 PM »
I called about them many moons ago, and can't remember what they told me, but apparently I was satisfied because we've used these several times.  They are not a staple by any means, but we do use them.

This is why I have to get better about calling more often.  You can't just call once, and then forget about it for the next 10 years, KWIM?

Which circles back to why "May Contain" etc. labeling should be consistent, and mandatory.  I really, really hate this.  :rant:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 02:29:33 PM »
He used the products....and ate a slice

there were no warnings on any of the labels - we had two different crusts and one sauce

everything was fine

they wont be a staple b/c we didn't really like them

I agree - wish that things would be labeled for shared lines/facilities