login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Crock Pot Kalua Pork  (Read 2482 times)

Description:

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Crock Pot Kalua Pork
« on: December 14, 2011, 09:07:45 PM »
Ok so I was skeptical on this but a friend of DH's raved about this meal and it is one of the best crock pot recipes we've ever had and simple!

4-5 lb pork butt or shoulder
2 cups apple cider
1 Tbsp liquid smoke
2-3 Tbsp sea salt

Rub Pork with sea salt and liquid smoke and place in crockpot.  Add apple cider.  Turn crockpot to low and cook for 10-12 hrs, flipping pork over halfway through.  Take meat out of crockpot and shred with two forks.

We served it with cole slaw. 

It would be great on a bun with a little BBQ sauce as well.  Or leftover in quesadillas

Offline hedgehog

Re: Crock Pot Kalua Pork
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 05:39:39 AM »
I do the same, but I rub the pork with salt and mustard, and then add about a cup of maple syrup, and stick in the crockpot all day.
USA

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:10:45 AM »
Yum - looks delish.  I was just thinking last night that I need to pull out the crock and do some slow cooked pork.

Though I did misread the name of the thread, and thought it said Kahlua pork - and I wondered, "is that safe?"  ;D
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »
That's funny, my sister did the same thing and was very confused that I would even make it since she thought it contained alcohol (we both gave it up after my mother passed away).  She assumed I was just being nice since it was DH's birthday.  Then she was even more surprised that I tried it and liked it.  Everything was cleared up when I read her the ingredients.

I did look up why it was called Kalua...it's hawaiian for cooked in an underground oven.