Rice noodles

Started by Mezzo, December 17, 2011, 10:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mezzo

I think we've been searching for these as a group, but I don't remember anyone finding some.  Are there rice noodles that are safe for PA?

twinturbo

What kind of rice noodles? Tinkyada type or Asian type?

joshsmom

Would love to know an Asian type rice noodle.

Mezzo

Yes, Asian type is what I'm looking for.  Cellophane.

twinturbo

Cellophane noodles are actually mung bean flour as well as other starches. You'll typically see these labeled as saifun.

Rice stick noodles are usually made from rice only, those might be labeled maifun.

Here's the 411 on buying Asian foods... what you need to know about packaging and brands.

Short version on buying noodles like this is whether it's a brand like WaiWai or repackaged by an American company, it's probably sourced from the same or similar manufacturer, you're just paying more. For example, Eden distributes some nori with its own brand and label. Eden may submit a manufacturing information request to wherever it's manufactured. At best Eden becomes a trading company importing the product. They may have what they feel is accurate manufacturing information relying on it rather than knowing first hand what's going on in the facility.

I buy my imported foods based on what I know of the cuisine in general, how much is produced, and what I think it's most likely to be contaminated with. There's not a lot of trust but rather deduction coupled with the risk I'm willing to take.

For rice noodles I would expect it to be contaminated with maybe a grain, egg, soy or shellfish. They produce it in such great quantities that the odds are in our favor. If I had to search for a safe brand like we mean safe it would be American or Canadian produced, not Canadian or American trading company imported and repackaged. While I've found a couple of really good products I deem super safe made in British Columbia, rice noodles isn't one I've found. I've found branded, imported and highly marked up imported versions in the Gluten Free specialty foods section at Shaw's but the country of origin is the same at what I'd buy at the Asian grocery store. Even if I called that company and got what a friendly person that would reassure me that it's safe I know that no person from that company has truly any idea what's going on in that overseas facility.

With food allergies we all need to reach out for global cuisine. We also absolutely need accurate manufacturing information. This is one of those critical junctures where the risk is a little higher and the accuracy a little less reliable.

After that huge tangential reply I'll look around for a Japanese or Korean brand that I would say less risky. Or if I hit jackpot I'll dig up a Canadian brand probably manufactured in Vancouver.

Mezzo

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview