survery: economic impact of raising a child with food allergies

Started by Arkadia, December 21, 2011, 08:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkadia

Off the top of my head id say while Im able to work and earn a salary, even with a highschooler, i spend a lot tagging along on trips, for example....in Marching Band, as well as the lost weekend hours i would have been working.
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

GoingNuts

I added the cost of airfare on a safe airline, versus going for the least expensive fare.  Not to mention the inconvenience.

ETA:  It loaded for me right away.  Maybe only for FAAN members?  Maybe this link will work:  http://www.faiusa.org/
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

CMdeux

Thanks, GN!

I was able to access it fine from FAI.

Maybe I have a black mark next to my name at FAAN now.   ;D

Also adding, here, that this was a rather depressing series of things to contemplate, all in all.   :-[  The two pages of totals were horrific when you consider that they've been more or less static for the past decade. 

I mentioned that later, btw.   ;)

Western U.S.

hedgehog

Going Nuts's link worked.  I usually don't think of some of that a lot (in fact, I never even added up how much we spend on Zyrtec in a year). 
USA

GoingNuts

Something I should have added in but didn't think of it until much later was college-related costs.  Supplementing food plans, not being able to use food plans, etc. 

Oy, I so don't want to think about this, but I have to.  Now.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

momma2boys

peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

yelloww

Here's what I figured out from the survey:

By the time ds goes to college, we will have paid about $10K MORE in allergy expenses for 18 years of his life than we will for 4yrs of public univ tuition/room & board.  :-/

ooof!

Remember, he's been MFA since before he was 1. The only time we didn't have to shell out $$ for allergies was when he was on Neocate and insurance covered all of the costs. So when he starts college at age 19, it will be 18 yrs of medical expenses and allergy costs.

CMdeux

The cost of a parent not working (when they otherwise would have) is just astronomical.  I was seriously depressed when I added that up along with all of the other directly related costs.   :-[

Western U.S.

joanna5

I didn't like the survey. It focused only on the youngest member of the family.  For us, R's egg allergy has had very little impact as one of D's allergies is egg.  Our answers for D would have been far different.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

hk

Quote from: CMdeux on December 22, 2011, 04:38:36 PM
The cost of a parent not working (when they otherwise would have) is just astronomical.  I was seriously depressed when I added that up along with all of the other directly related costs.   :-[

Me too.  Very upsetting.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview