Screw you people. That's what I want to tell them.

Started by Jessica, December 23, 2011, 01:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

We got a message from one of dh's siblings asking if maybe we could show up at the family Christmas so they can get a family picture. So here is the history. When dd was a few yrs old (and I also had a toddler and a newborn to deal with) the siblings got ticked at us because FIL forbade them from putting out big cans of mixed nuts at a shindig. Some of them didn't speak to us or FIL for years because of this slight. On one holiday I brought safe food for my kids but were were provided with no safe place to feed them. Only the table which was covered with nut-containing foods. Another time we were asked if we were going to come to the family holiday get-together and when I asked if everything would have nuts, I was told yes, because "no one will eat it otherwise". I'm not talking about just desserts btw. It extends to regular food as well. We didn't go.

So it may not come as a surprise that we've never attended another holiday family get-together since then. We have been to a few birthdays where only pizza was served but I guess that's not good enough for some of them to show up to (not much food, no gifts).

So hell to the no, we do not want to come over to poison central.  :paddle:
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

SilverLining

I don't blame you at all.  I would not spend my Christmas in a place dangerous to my child.

If they want a family picture, suggest they book a photographer's studio....with no food....and you'll meet them there.

SilverLining

I've been thinking about this today while scrubbing my home.

If you haven't already responded, I think I know what you shoukd say.

~~~

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING WILLING TO HAVE A NUT FREE CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR!  We really appreciate that.  Once you've confirmed with EVERYONE ELSE that they don't mind no nuts for the day let us know.

~~~

This of course, is assuming you would be willing to attend IF there were no nuts around.  (And, honestly, I wouldn't blame you if you were not willing.)  But, this puts it back in their court, rather then making you look like the B for not be willing to go for a picture.

GingerPye

really, what is wrong with people?!  They would choose nuts over family??   :'(
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Janelle205

I'm pretty sure the ambulance might screw up the image they want in their family picture...

GoingNuts

Quote from: Janelle205 on December 23, 2011, 12:39:44 PM
I'm pretty sure the ambulance might screw up the image they want in their family picture...

But the red flashing lights would make for such interesting lighting - so artistic!

Seriously - idiots.  :paddle:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

hopechap

Why do people need to be this way? So many are.  I am glad that you have a good FIL. 

Janelle205

I really don't understand how people who can literally eat anything they want, can't go one day without one food to make a family member safe.

Seriously.  I have multiple food allergies, and I manage to eat everyday, avoid multiple things, and I'm making it so far.  You can go just one day without one thing - I've been free of multiple foods for YEARS.

Currently struggling with this in the form of family members who think that it is an acceptable 'joking' topic.  Yes, I do poke fun at my allergies sometimes.  I am that kind of person.  But you make a joke about putting something I am seriously, violently allergic to in to my food, and then wonder why I don't want to eat your food?  Really?

New rule.  If you're going to harass me about trusting your food, we need to make a deal.  I always carry multiple epi-pens - at least three.  If I react to something you make, I get to epi you after I shoot myself.  I'm getting the epi in the thigh, but you're getting it in the butt.  And hey, then I'll have company in the ambulance - maybe they'll give us a two-fer discount.

Anybody up for making me dinner?

GingerPye

LOL, I love that idea, Janelle!  A two-fer epipen injection and ambulance ride --- how fun!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Jessica

Quote from: hopechap on December 24, 2011, 12:01:59 AM
Why do people need to be this way? So many are.  I am glad that you have a good FIL. 
Actually that's the only time he's advocated for our kids. He's generally an a$$ too but since he has so little to do with the food (aside from eating it) he doesn't give a lot of input into it so he doesn't seem as objectionable as the others. If that makes sense.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Scout

we hve not seen dh's family for 6 yrs this Christmas day.....almost the exact story....

they dont even call anymore. not his mom or 4 brothers and sisters or cousins....at all......

Nuts and tradition was more impotant...

I feel your exxact anger.

Ra3chel

Quote from: SilverLining on December 23, 2011, 10:24:42 AM

~~~

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING WILLING TO HAVE A NUT FREE CHRISTMAS THIS YEAR!  We really appreciate that.  Once you've confirmed with EVERYONE ELSE that they don't mind no nuts for the day let us know.

~~~

This of course, is assuming you would be willing to attend IF there were no nuts around.  (And, honestly, I wouldn't blame you if you were not willing.)  But, this puts it back in their court, rather then making you look like the B for not be willing to go for a picture.

BRILLIANT.
The 3 is silent.

Arkadia

Quote from: Ra3chel on December 28, 2011, 02:28:40 PM
Quote from: SilverLining on December 23, 2011, 10:24:42 AM

~~~

~~~

BRILLIANT.

why do you even want to be part of the picture.....? more to the point, why do they want you to?

f***em.
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Jessica

We didn't go. I have no desire to be in the picture and to be honest, I have a feeling it's only a picture of my DH and his siblings anyway. But DH doesn't care to bother with them either so he didn't even mention going.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview