warning issued about epi pen caps

Started by Mfamom, December 24, 2011, 09:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfamom

I cant read it because im not on facebook.  Will post link and hopefully someone can post the issue

EpiPen cap warning issued by distributor http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsoc.li%2FOd5R8xQ&h=cAQHRnUq8AQH_J5fpQdOg6bjhqdlFLgNxJF_Rou3wa5plvgwww.cbc.ca
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

momma2boys

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/12/23/epipen-food-allergy-ana.html

Taking the cap off an EpiPen incorrectly when treating a severe food allergy could potentially result in failure to deliver the drug, the distributor of the device says.

Health Canada said Friday that Pfizer Canada, distributor of the EpiPen and EpiPen Jr autoinjectors, says the blue safety cap on the device should be removed by pulling the cap straight up while holding the orange tip downward. About four per cent of Canadians have food allergies, according to Statistics Canada. (Stock)
"It has recently come to our attention that removal of the blue safety cap the wrong way by pulling it sideways or bending and twisting it off may prevent the device from working properly and potentially result in failure to deliver the drug," the company said in a release Thursday.

The company also said patients should:

Continue to carry their EpiPen or EpiPen Jr at all times.
The blue safety cap should not be removed until you need to use the medication.
Patients are advised to review the safety information regularly and check that the device hasn't been unintentionally activated, Health Canada said.

EpiPen are pre-filled, single-use devices that automatically inject an epinephrine solution for the emergency treatment of severe allergic reactions including anaphylaxis.

Carrying an auto-injector can be life-saving if someone runs into trouble and has a severe allergic reaction, said Laurie Harada, executive director of Anaphylaxis Canada.

"It's surprising how many people have been diagnosed with food allergy, been told to carry an autoinjector and they don't have it with them or they don't know how to use it," Harada told CBC Radio's Metro Morning.

Harada also recommended that people with food allergies take care to read food labels and to always ask about what's in foods.

Harada, the mother of an 18-year-old who has had several food allergies since he was a child, suggested that hosts of holiday parties also ask people if they have any food allergies before preparing items and to try to accommodate them.

Hosts can also ask people to bring their own dish and keep food labels on hand.

peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Carefulmom

Thank you for posting.  I have always objected to the new design, especially after the college student died because the needle bent when he used it.  I called Dey after that and asked them to look into it, but they refused.  This is very helpful information. 

Janelle205

Thank you for the info.  Went over the precautions with fiancee almost immediately after reading, and told my Mom to let me reteach her when I go to visit next weekend.  Set an alarm on my cell phone to review with the bosses at work.

I wish that they would go back to the old design.  Because, you know, when you are not breathing, hiving up, itching, vomiting, and overly confused (I had an ana reaction where I made some REALLY bad choices), you are really completely capable of making sure that you are holding the pen straight up and down and you don't accidentally twist the cap.  How many people are capable of being that precise when they are essentially dying?

gufyduck

I wanted to share last night when I had to use an epi, I paid no particular attention to pulling the cap straight out.  I simply pulled it out, and it worked fine. I can almost guarantee it was not pulled straight out. No bent needles, no misfiring, etc.  Just worked as it should. 

livingnutfree

Are this the same for ones in the US or just a Canadian thing?
Mom to 3 kiddos
ds1 nkfa
ds2 nkfa
dd   7 yr diagnosed with pn/tn allergy at age 6.

SilverLining

They are both the exact same design.  I think Canadian ones are actually made in the US.

CMdeux

gufyduck, I'm really glad to hear that your injector worked exactly as it should!! 

Sorry that we had someone reporting in on this issue so soon, of course... but very glad that you are around to tell the tale.   :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

AllergyMum

Does anyone have the link to the official statement from the company. I did a search and could not find it. I want to print out and give to DS teacher
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

SilverLining

Quote from: AllergyMum on January 02, 2012, 03:58:42 PM
Does anyone have the link to the official statement from the company. I did a search and could not find it. I want to print out and give to DS teacher

This page has links to Pfeizer's media releases.  Currently this one is at the top.

http://www.pfizer.ca/en/media_centre/news_releases/

AllergyMum

Thank you so much,  this is great

BTW - When did Pfeizer buy King?
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview