Questions about Italy

Started by SilverLining, December 31, 2011, 01:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLining

Anyone ever been there?  (Looking at going to Milan.)

Are most people fluent in English?

Is peanut or sesame a common food there?

chase

My family went to Italy 1 1/2 yrs ago.  My son has PA only.  We were gone for two weeks, one week on our own in the Tuscany region and the second week on a tour (with in-laws, I had no choice) in the Almafi coast region.

Do NOT take a week tour.  We were told ahead of time *No Worries* we do this all the time.  It was Tauck Tours.  I asked more questions that you can imagine all were answered to give me confidence.  Completely different story when we got there.

Before leaving I found a website (can't remember it, just google it) that sent me cards written in Italian explaining the allergy.  That was a life saver!!!!  Most restaurant owners spoke English, not all of the wait staff did though.  But the owner was most important to me for my questions.  We ate in one restaurant three nights because of the owner.  We felt like family.

Tuscany region was great!!! My son even had galato in most places, he is not allergic to hazelnuts.  Just be careful in the bar areas of restaurants.  They serve peanuts on all of the tables.  We always ate outside away from those tables.

Rome and Almafi Coast were trouble.  The galato was mass produced with the same starter that was a may contain peanuts.  They even had olive oil that was part peanut oil and part olive oil.  My son lived on pizza.  Most places could not even serve him a salad due to the mixed olive oil. 

I could go on and on, so ask anything you want.  I'm sorry to say I know nothing about Milan.
~Tami

SilverLining

We won't be travelling around.  Staying in one place, but I don't know where....just that it's in Milan.  They will be providing dinner, possibly all meals.  My guess is, a very fancy place.  For most people that's good news....but to me, fancy usually means nobody wants to be put out with someone else's allergies.

Who in their right mind would turn this down? 

momma2boys

No info for you, just a question....

Can I please come with you??!!!!  :smooch:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

candyguru

I was in Italy for my honeymoon in 2005.  We stayed in Rome, Florence, and Venice.  I had no problems at all.  Since those are all touristy cities, a lot of people spoke English.  And I didn't see peanuts around either.  Hazelnuts were very common in Italy, but not peanuts as as I am not tree nut allergic it was fine for me.  I didn't see or hear of any peanut oil either but maybe I was just lucky.

I ate pizza and pasta everywhere.. though I skipped desserts as you never know with desserts.  I did eat gelato in Rome, Florence and Venice as they didn't have peanut flavours (but they did have hazelnut flavours).   Compared to some of the places I have travelled (ie Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing), travelling in Italy was easy as peanuts did not seem to be in common use.

If you have specific questions/want more info let me know :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

YouKnowWho

My SIL's second home is Italy - she goes at least once a year, usually more often.  She doesn't deal with allergies of her own but is determined to have the boys visit Italy and Europe with her one day so she is more aware (keep in mind she is one of the few people that I allow to cook for my kids, a challenge that I haven't even relegated to my parents yet).  If you want, I can put her in contact with you.  I know she has been to Milan several times (she has friends in Torino and visits there more often but has traveled all over Italy). 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

SilverLining

I'm starting to think, maybe I cpuld pack a suitcase with food.  Bring enough dry good, and just buy fruit and veggies that I can eat raw.  I'm pretty sure we won't have a kitchen.  I won't get to chose where I stay, and I'm not even sure how far in advance I'll know exactly where it is.

chase

When we were in Rome (2010) my son had a hard time with the oil.  Every restaurant on the street our hotel was on (tourist area) had peanuts on their tables.  We had an easier time outside of the city.  In regards to the oil, maybe
the restaurants read our allergy card and decided it was easier to say it wasn't safe when really it was CYA.
On Capri, the nicest hotel restaurant told my son he could only have balsamic vinegar as a dressing on his salad, due to mixed oil.  I could have traveled with a bottle of olive oil, but had very limited space and didn't want to chance a broken bottle of oil :( 
My son was on the two galato a day diet all through the Tuscany region.  He is not allergic to tree nuts, just PA.

You will have a great time, the county is beautiful and the people are wonderful.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview