Access to emergency epinephrine act

Started by SilverLining, January 05, 2012, 11:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverLining

http://www.foodallergy.org/page/school-access-to-emergency-epinephrine-act1

QuoteThe Food Allergy & Anaphylaxis Network (FAAN™) is working on federal legislation that would encourage states to adopt laws requiring schools to have on hand "stock" epinephrine auto-injectors – meaning epinephrine that is not prescribed specifically to a single student but can be used for any student and staff member in an anaphylactic emergency.
On Nov. 17 this bill (S. 1884), the School Access to Emergency Epinephrine Act, was introduced in the Senate by U.S. Senators Dick Durbin (D-IL) and Mark Kirk (R-IL). On Dec. 8, the bill (HR. 3627) was introduced in the House by Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer (D-MD) and Rep. Phil Roe (R-TN).

Please click lonk to read the entire document.

AllergyMum

Good idea on the surface.  For me, I would only feel comfortable with this ONLY IF my kid gets to carry his own epi's and that only his are used on him during a reaction.  I know the condition and history of ours and I know that not everyone takes good care of theirs.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

CMdeux

... still, I'd rather have an epi that has not been stored properly used than nothing, which is the alternative for many kids.

Kids with either unknown or undisclosed allergies are at very real risk for getting no medical intervention at all under current state laws in many locations in the US.   :-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

AllergyMum

Yes, I agree that this would be better than nothing.  But I could see some schools not allow personal carrying of a person's own epi's because the school would want to mantain control of the epi's.
DS - Dairy, Egg, PN, TN, Drug allergies
Canada

TabiCat

I can't help but think of a story that happened in our district YEARS ago. Before DS was diagnosed. The cheerleaders were hosting a workshop. Outside of school hours. There was a young girl that came to the coach just after a snack break and told her that throat was starting to hurt. Coach noted a slight puffiness around the eyes and a then a slight cough. She asked the child if she was allergic to anything and she said mom told her not to eat PN. They had just had ice-cream bars. The coach sent someone to call 911 and then called by radio for "DOC" the trainer who was on the football field with a football camp.   

There was no epi-pen no action plan, nothing about an allergy mentioned on the health release form. No instructions of any kind. The reaction progressed at a really scary pass and even tough both DOC and the coach were trained in first aide their was not much they could do. Thankfully the ambulance arrived in time to transport and the hospital was able to stabilize and then air lift. She survived but as I've heard it things were touch n go for a while.

The mother said later that when the child was three she had complained of itching lips and had some red splotches around her lips after eating an apple slice with peanut butter. She took her to the family Dr who was an older gentlemen. He told them to not let her eat peanut products for a few years and left it at that. No testing no referral to an allergist no epi-pen. The mother thought that since the DR wasn't that concerned it must not be a big deal. She taught her dd not to eat PN and moved on. Until a few years later they nearly lost her. 
--------------
yes I do want those at schools to have access to nonspecific epi-pens. I want them not only in the Nurses office but in the emergency first aide packs that teachers and coaches carry to extra curricular events.         
Ds - Peanut and Tree nut and a  host of enviro

Texas

ajasfolks2

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

hezzier

Ok, so I checked with our school nurse today to see if she was ever given non-designated epi pens...(I live in IL so the Emergency Epinephrine Act as already passed) so here's the problem she said a doctor has to prescribe them to the school.  Our school district does not have a physician on staff so how are we to ever get these? 

I wish they would write this stuff in plan english...here's where it says "doctor may prescribe"...
(f) The school district or nonpublic school may maintain at
5      a school in a locked, secure location a supply of epinephrine
6      auto-injectors. A physician may prescribe epinephrine
7      auto-injectors in the name of the school district or nonpublic
8      school to be maintained for use when necessary
. The school
9      district or nonpublic school supply of epinephrine
10      auto-injectors may be provided to and utilized by any student
11      authorized to self-administer that meets the prescription on
12      file or by any personnel authorized under a student's
13      Individual Health Care Action Plan, Illinois Food Allergy
14      Emergency Action Plan and Treatment Authorization Form, or plan
15      pursuant to Section 504 of the federal Rehabilitation Act of
16      1973 to administer an epinephrine auto-injector to the student,
17      that meets the prescription on file. When a student does not
18      have an epinephrine auto-injector or a prescription for an
19      epinephrine auto-injector on file, the school nurse may utilize
20      the school district or nonpublic school supply of epinephrine
21      auto-injectors to respond to anaphylactic reaction, under a
22      standing protocol from a physician licensed to practice
23      medicine in all its branches and the requirements of this
24      Section.
25      (Source: P.A. 96-1460, eff. 8-20-10.)

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/fulltext.asp?DocName=&SessionId=84&GA=97&DocTypeId=HB&DocNum=3294&GAID=11&LegID=60664&SpecSess=&Session=

I have a few calls into places to see I can find out more, but anyone have any great ideas?

ajasfolks2

Hez  -- would YOUR doctor be willing to write the prescription?

This seems crazy.

maeve

"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Janelle205

Hezzier - Does your school have a medical treatment plan or standing orders for emergencies/medical problems?  All of the camps that I have worked at had one, which we had reviewed annually by a local doctor.  The same doctor prescribed necessary emergency medication that we kept on hand - epi-pens, epinephrine vials, insulin, etc.  So while we didn't have a doctor on staff, we still had a relationship with a local doctor.

hezzier

Well, I made a few calls and yes, a doctor (any doctor) does have to prescribe the epi pens to the school district/or school.  It is a completely voluntary program so it is up to the district if they are willing or have the funds to pay for the epi pens.  I currently have a call into our superintendant (I don't expect to actually here back from him) to see if the district will be willing to cover the price (we have 7 schools).  If they are not willing then there is no reason to find a doctor who will do it for the whole district.  I have a friend that has a peanut allergy, her kids go to our school and her DH is a physician so I have no doubt that I can get them to do it for at least our school and then I'm pretty sure I can get the PTO to fork over the $100.  If not, then one of DS's former preschool teacher's husband is a doctor and he might be willing.

Can you see my next problem of convincing the pharmacy to actually fill the prescription?

SilverLining

Quote5      a school in a locked, secure location a supply of epinephrine
6      auto-injectors.

<gulp>

CMdeux

yeah, forgive me if I'm a bit underwhelmed by that verbiage, as well, SL...

:banghead:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

ajasfolks2

hezzier

Based on what you see, do you think the national one will be any better?  The same IL senators are involved.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview