Peanut Butter CHEERIOS?

Started by ilismama, January 09, 2012, 12:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilismama

just heard there are new Peanut Butter Cheerios on the market. great.
i hope this doesn't change things for the other "flavors".
Allergic to penicillin, sulfa drugs & coconut
DD 9/22/03 PA,chick peas, pine nuts, dogs/cats, penicillin
DS 7/9/08 NKA
USA

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

nameless

Man, oh man. (1) confusing to real Cheerios (2) any cross-x issues?

I know the ones with almond are separate equipment than the others...will they do that with the pb ones?  Time to go buy up a gazillion boxes of apple-cinnamon Cheerios and Multi-grain Cheerios?

Meh.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

nameless

one answer:

http://www.cheerios.com/Answers/Does-Multi-Grain-Cheerios-Peanut-Butter-contain-peanuts

"Multi Grain Cheerios Peanut Butter contains peanuts.  Cheerios has a commitment to allergen management.  We can say with complete confidence that Multi Grain Cheerios Peanut Butter will  not cross-contaminate other Cheerios varieties.

Currently, Honey Nut Cheerios, Banana Nut Cheerios, and Oat Cluster Cheerios Crunch contain almonds.  Only Multi Grain Cheerios Peanut Butter contains peanuts.

All other varieties, including original Cheerios, Multi Grain Cheerios, Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, Chocolate Cheerios, Cinnamon Burst Cheerios, Frosted Cheerios, Fruity Cheerios, and Yogurt Burst Cheerios, do not contain nuts."
40+ years dealing with:
New England

candyguru

-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

twinturbo

On to practical matters. How are Kix and Cocoa Puffs for PA? GM's hubris on controlling PN x-contam has me questioning the ability to trust label.

CMdeux

Me too, TT... me, too.   :-[

DD loves loved to mix multi-grain Cheerios into Greek yogurt.  <sigh>

Western U.S.

shoshana

where are we on this?   are we trusting that plain cheerios are still peanut free and safe?
oy.

CMdeux

We're still seeing larger volume boxes of multi-grain that do NOT bear warnings, even in the same sizes as the PB ones. Haven't called, but I'm guessing (based on warnings on the small volume boxes) that these are being produced in a single facility and that most of the production isn't impacted.

I'm definitely avoiding that small size (I think it's 9-12 oz, depending on variety), though, and I don't care what warnings don't appear on the label, I just can't make myself go there.  In my mind, it is a risk.

KWIM?

I discussed this with DD and she was fine with it.  She didn't want to give up one of the only breakfast items she likes and can eat, so I'm still buying Multigrain Cheerios.  Just not in a size that the PB ones come in as well.

Western U.S.

twinturbo

Supervalu got back to me yesterday. Their Toasted Ohs do not share a line with a peanut product. You all might want to contact them as well if intend to use it. It's always such dang process to get an answer from them in my experience. We're trying them this weekend but I will probably recontact them down the line to see if there's some sort of facility code I should follow. Can a woman not get some oat o's without the flippin peanuts? It's turning into a holy grail quest.

shoshana

called GM this afternoon.  they said there was no chance of cross contamination with the regular Cheerios.  anyone have different info?

nameless

Quote from: shoshana on March 07, 2012, 05:59:20 PM
called GM this afternoon.  they said there was no chance of cross contamination with the regular Cheerios.  anyone have different info?

that's the same info I posted above on Jan 9th, though their website doesn't say exactly why there will be no cross-x after their 'allergen management' statement.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

CMdeux

Yeah, I really don't like that dodge of "cleaned lines" being on the table--at all--with peanut.    In my mind, with that particular allergen (and some treenuts) there just IS NO safe level of XC, even if they monitored, because the threshold is probably well below the LOD, certainly in an industrial setting.

It's why Keebler has the policy they do, YK?

As for "we can't tell you, it's proprietary" well, gotta hand it to Kraft for being trailblazers in "unified corporate policy" there FIRST, but I have also given Kraft about 50 cents over the past ten years as a result of that stance.

I'm entirely willing to deprive GM of the thousands we've spent on their products for the same reason, ultimately. 

:tongue:  Why are companies trying to evaluate risk FOR ME?  If I ask, isn't it obvious that I'd like to know the answer??

Western U.S.

shoshana

does anyone have information that PLAIN cheerios are on the same line as the PB ones?  GM said that would be labeling of possible x-contam.

is everyone worried about the multi-grain or the plain or both?  i'm confused.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview