FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Valentine's Day Candy  (Read 5205 times)

Description: conversation hearts?

hk

Valentine's Day Candy
« on: January 13, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »
I can't remember if there are any safe conversation hearts.  Part of my brain says no and part of it says there is one size of one brand that is okay.  Does anyone remember?  Of course DD's teacher is all about doing some graphing with those!  Thanks!

Offline lakeswimr

Re: Valentine's Day Candy
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »
I wish you and others would always state which allergens you are avoiding.  many of us here are avoiding allergens other than just peanut and tree nut.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »
That came off as a little..um harsh?

Anyway, I am actually a little tipsy, so excuse me.

But I don't do any type of conversation hearts. I would love if I could find a safe brand. Oh, and I am Peanut, Treenut,& Mangos. Along with OAS to peach.  :thumbsup:
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:14:01 AM »
I wish it too, even though it is hard to say it without it sounding harsh. That's why I put our allergens and country in my signature, so when I ask a question, at least those facts are out there and I don't have to repeat them over and over. I wish everyone would.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline IowaMom

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
I just got home from the grocery store and the Brachs candy hearts read safe for PA!  The package says "allergen information: milk, wheat, and soy may be present in the manufacturing or packaging facility". Is this somethIng new? I don't remember them ever being safe before...
10 year old DD - PA only
USA

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:12:39 PM »
A local allergy group that I belong to posted recently that the Brach's hearts were the only ones safe this year for peanut, tree nut and egg allergies.

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:25:15 AM »
There were a variety of warnings including peanut on the Sweethearts (is that the brand name), but fewer & nice clear labeling on the Brach's.  Brach's does label well, it's just that usually there is a peanut warning. They are made in Argentina, I think it said. 

hk

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:01:38 AM »
That's just plain rude lakeswmr.  You know what?  I used to have it in my signature line and didn't realize I had to add it again when we moved over to the new site.  One of the many reasons I don't come on here very much anymore even though I'm having a really hard time with school stuff right now.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:03:16 AM by hk »

Offline 2boyz4me

• I Can Has Autism
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:31:18 AM »
I just got home from the grocery store and the Brachs candy hearts read safe for PA!  The package says "allergen information: milk, wheat, and soy may be present in the manufacturing or packaging facility". Is this somethIng new? I don't remember them ever being safe before...

Yep! I got the tart & sassy conversation hearts and that's how they read here.
Jenn
Ashton (15) & Holden (12)
Both have env. allergies & H has LFTA to shrimp & sesame ......

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 01:48:02 PM »
I saw conversation Jelly Bellys today, but they only said gluten-free, not peanut.  The box had a 2009 copyright date.

Offline nameless

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 01:23:04 PM »
Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Hearts w/ truffle filling are made in a peanut/treenut free environment. I just called this morning and got verification (the c/s reps have full info, more than what is on the package).

White box, red writing. They are pretty good :) SKU #93763

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 11:10:50 PM »
For people who can't find safe Conversation Hearts, Lifesaver Gummies have a 'Message hearts and rings' packaging this V-Day which reads safe for pn/tn/egg and I think for milk and wheat.

It's Wrigley's-- the ingredients label reads:

corn syrup, sugar, water, gelatin, modified potato starch, less than 2% of corn starch, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, mineral oil, colors (red 40, yellow 5, blue 1) and carnauba wax. 

No warnings for any allergens, and Wrigley's historically labels well.

This was DD's first experience with the stupid little sayings on conversation hearts.  I'm cracking up.   :thumbsup:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 11:39:02 PM »
Thanks, CM.  Conversation hearts have been off the menu for us for years usually because of both nut and egg issues.  I also imagine the Lifesaver Gummies probably taste better than regular conversation hearts.;)
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 11:40:20 PM »
 ;D   That they do, Maeve.  That they do!  (Berry flavors, btw.)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.