FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Survey: New Jersey School Boards Assoc  (Read 1498 times)

Description: RE: Classroom treats

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Survey: New Jersey School Boards Assoc
« on: January 13, 2012, 03:46:46 PM »
This is pretty interesting, IMHO.

http://www.njsba.org/sb_notes/20111206/surveyresults.html

Consider reading it all the way through to the very end.

You'll see why.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline rainbow

Re: Survey: New Jersey School Boards Assoc
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:11:32 AM »
Thanks for posting and *sigh*. 

At least some of them get it, but it is split 50/50 and they seem to underestimate the risk of LTFA.  Seems that many districts are requiring packaged foods with ingredient labels, though.

IMO there is a difference between Birthdays (which happen so often in a class of 25 students!!) and class celebrations (which many districts limit to 3/year according to this).  Having a pre-approved menu for a class celebration with safe foods approved in advance seems " reasonable" though is always a slippery slope; wheras the birthdays are way too frequent and often involve unapproved foods brought in by moms, with allergy parents uninformed.  Very dangerous in the younger grades, especially, and when teachers assume cupcakes are 'nut free' but they may be cross-contaminated.

I liked the insight on how many administrators DO feel that all these food celebrations take away instructional time. 

Ajas, which part were you referring to?

twinturbo

Re: Survey: New Jersey School Boards Assoc
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:37:43 AM »
Good find, ajas.  :coolbeans:

Makes me wonder how moveable administrators are on policy if one were to make a huge donation, one much greater than what any PTO could hope to contribute en masse.