FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: The other side of food in classroom.... a Rant!!!!  (Read 1619 times)

Description:

melsmom

The other side of food in classroom.... a Rant!!!!
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:50:39 PM »
The Other side.....

Thank you all for your help this summer about my son and his new wife and children (one of whom has a food allergy)

New topic.... I hate food in the class room... and I am the TEACHER!!!!
Pizza, popcorn and snickers oh my........ I HATE IT.. I survived a school with out this... in elementary school we had ONE Christmas party each year.... That was it..... No candy no popcorn no pizza NADA!!!!

At my mid year evaluation I was marked down for not giving "incentives" (WHAT!!!!  I give fist bumps, attaboys, pencils and stickers)  What does principal want... Candy like all the other teachers... Gurrrrrr...  Why am I expected to spend my money on candy/ food for other peoples children?  Heck, I buy them paper, pencils and tissue.... isnt that enough???? 

Believe me NOT all teacher want and like food as a reward.....  But there is a real push for this.....  remember it isnt allways the teacher

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: The other side of food in classroom.... a Rant!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:12:35 PM »
Ugh-- :grouphug:

THANK YOU for the reminder that it isn't always a classroom teacher who wants to indulge in this non-stop feeding frenzy.

I'm so sorry that your administration seems to (mind-bogglingly) be pressuring you to spend classroom time on feeding rather than teaching and cultivating intrinsic motivation for learning.

How sad.   :'(  No wonder good teachers leave the profession.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

melsmom

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:37:21 PM »
Sorry about the typos... I am bent over this one..........
And yes I am looking for a new profession...
I am TIRED of this.. I will miss my kids... but it is the stupid stuff that drives me nuts

Those of us who want to teach are being held hostage.. I dont get why the adults thinnk we need to bribe the kids.

The kids are fine... they get an A is great and sticker is cool and "good job!!" means good job.....  The parents are OK too... Adminstratoin wants "insentives" 

Just tired.......

Offline rainbow

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »
Thanks for the perspective. 

There are professional articles out there regarding the fact that food-based incentives are unhealthy for children, both psychologically and in terms of childhood obesity.

Your administration sounds behind the times. Could you provide some of this information from experts and explain you ARE doing non-food rewards for the children in lieu of food rewards?  Not to mention, actually, that a lot of people think kids have too many extrinisic rewards these days (ie, "Good Job! Here's your Trophy/ Candy/ Stickers!"). I'm sure there are articles out about that as well, from leaders in education and child development.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:03:57 AM »
Wow.

Guess that principal/admin is feeling the heat and desperate to insist on doggie treats to up the test scores?   ;)

You deserve better and so do the students.

Thank you for sharing this.

What a wake up call we need!!

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

melsmmom

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 04:39:23 AM »
Well I am calmer now.....

Yes it is "doggie treats" to up test scores....I don't get it or like it...
What are we teaching children?  When I do a good job I get a "treat" (when I am sad/upset/ angry I "need a treat")
Not a good life lesson.. it leads to unhealthy eating habits.... Also as adults are they going to expect the boss to give them a "treat" every time they do a good job?