login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Kitchenaid bread recipes  (Read 4604 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Kitchenaid bread recipes
« on: January 17, 2012, 06:59:48 AM »
Please share any you've got.  I would especially like hamburger/hotdog buns, but I'm interested in any and all.

The clearer the instructions the better.   :hiding:

Offline nameless

Re: Kitchenaid bread recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 01:38:36 PM »
Here's their pizza dough recipe, that I make and love love love! If you think you want to make cinnamon/sugar/butter topping, then make a batch with canola oil instead.

You can Google up YouTube videos on making bread in a KitchenAid so you can see what the dough looks like when "it pulls away from the side" or if it's too soft or the ball is separating while kneading. You can't just walk away, I sit there and watch and add a tsp of water or a dusting of flour. If you already make homemade bread by hand, it's easier b/c you know what the dough is supposed to look like when done kneading.

Just try :)  And try and try again :)  I'll try to write up my Pumpkin Yeast Bread, which is a King Arthur Flour recipe, for the KitchenAid, which is how I make it. Again, with real breads (not pizza dough) you just need to keep kneading w/ the dough hook until it looks right and feels right.

Olive Oil Pizza Dough

crispy outside and chewy inside with the soft flavor of olive oil - works for pizza crust (I'll shape and pre-bake a little), breaksticks, "fake" foccacia, garlic knots, and with butter/cinnamon/sugar

1/4 oz pkg active dry yeast, room temp
1 cup warm water (110-115F, not over 115! Too cool and it won't activate, too hot you kill it)
1/2 tsp sea salt or fine kosher salt
2 tsp really good olive oil (or use a light/no taste one if you plan to cinnamon/sugar)
2.5-3.5 cups all-purpose white flour (I use King Arthur brand)

Proof yeast: Nuke 1 cup of water for 50s and pour into mixing bowl. Sprinkle 1 tsp of sugar and dissolve while waiting for it to cool to 112F. I have an insta-read digital thermoter I swish around in it. If it's over 115F it'll kill the yeast. If it's under 105F the yeast won't activate. Once water is 112F sprinkle on yeast, let sit 2 minutes, then stir gently to dissolve and let sit 10m. It should get bubbly on top, frothy, foamy. If not - you have dead yeast and start over. DO NOT SKIP PROOFING/ACTIVATING. Srsly.

In another bowl whisk together 2.5 cups "lightly spooned into measuring cup and leveled" flour and the salt.

Add olive oil to yeast/water and start mixer on speed 1 with regular mixing paddle. Add flour mix little by little til almost all mixed in. Remove paddle, scrape off, and use dough hook. Scrape up dough/flour from sides/bottom of bowl. It might not all be mixed in.

Go at speed 2 with dough hook. Add flour little by little until the dough is a ball and won't stick to sides. If the dough separates into a few blobs, sprinkle a tsp of water. Just takes a little! If it's not coming together as a ball to knead around the bowl, then sprinkle on flour on the sides of the bowl...just a little!  Once you think you've got it, knead for another 2 minutes on speed 2. It can take a few minutes to get it right, sprinkle water, sprinkle flour, more flour, more flour, whoops! drop of water, etc. The dough should hold together as 1 solid blob and not stick to the sides of the bowl.

Set dough in an olive oil brushed glass bowl or other non-reactive container to double in bulk. Cover with saran wrap (brush top of dough with a little olive oil). Rise in a draft free place - I use my oven with the light on.

After risen - punch down and remove from bowl onto lightly floured surface. Knead just a few times to make it come together in a nice ball and let rest 10-20 minutes. Then just roll out or piece apart for sticks - whatever you want. If the dough doesn't shape...meaning it springs back against you, and you are frustrated --- walk away. Cover with a slightly damp towel and let it rest. It just needs a brief 10 minute nap :)  Sometimes if it's not behaving I'll have to walk away a few times. To shape I either use a rolling pin or finger stretch. I never get a perfect circle :P

Bake 425F :)
I prebake for 6-8 minutes for pizza and brush the edges with olive oil. I do this so I know the center will be cooked by the time the cheese melts. Sometimes the center will bubble up, I just crush it down after pre-baking. I also have all my toppings cooked before putting the pizza in. I'll par-cook tough veggies like broccoli, peppers, onions. Meats are all cooked. Etc. 

The dough itself keeps in the fridge for a week. Just olive oil a ziploc bag and toss in the dough. When you want to use the dough, take out what you need 45 minutes before you want to use it. I put it in a lightly oil bowl and cover w/ saran wrap. It'll get room temp and might rise a little. Don't be freaked out if the dough in the fridge puffs up, it'll deflate after being refrigerated for a few hours.

40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 02:41:14 PM »
I do pretty much exactly the same thing.  Christine loves to make pizza dough.   :thumbsup:

I also have a French bread recipe that I love, and I make a half-whole-wheat that we all like, too.  But I say "recipe" and it's a lot more like a 'procedure' than that.  I put in water (1-3 c, usually), add my yeast (1-2 tsp), salt (in proportion to yeast), then eyeball about how much flour I need (put whole-grain flours in first, since they take up a lot more moisture but more slowly than high-gluten bread flours do), any spices/seasonings, and turn her on "low" for about five minutes, then let it rest for 5-20 minutes before turning it back on and keeping an eye on things while Christine goes to work and makes bread dough.  I tweak with additional flour or water as Nameless suggested.

I add a little additional oil at the end with pizza dough and shaped breads since it makes it easier to get it off the dough hook and then the dough doesn't stick to my hands, either.

What is your mixer's name, SL?

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 03:24:30 PM »
I'm thinking I'll keep my bread machine.  All this taking temperatures seems like an awful lot of work.   :hiding:

Offline nameless

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »
I'm thinking I'll keep my bread machine.  All this taking temperatures seems like an awful lot of work.   :hiding:

No no, no it's not. It's just 1 temperature to make sure you won't kill your yeast and to make sure it'll be happy :) Some people just wing it, I can't. I kill or it never proofs. So I use a thermometer.

But yes, if you have a bread machine you like --- why not?  The directions for my pizza dough are extensive with lots of details, but that's what you asked for! I geared them to the first-time-dough-by-KitchenAid person. It's REALLY simple. Try the pizza dough?

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 04:36:30 PM »
I just use room temperature water.  <shrug>

It works fine-- though sometimes it takes a bit longer to rise. 

Western U.S.

Offline nameless

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »
I just use room temperature water.  <shrug>

It works fine-- though sometimes it takes a bit longer to rise.

I've tried that, and it's always #Fail. I have friends who have made bread at my house using warm tap water, and it works. I make the same recipe the next day and #Fail.

Sigh.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 06:50:12 PM »
You know, living in E. WA was the only place that I could only get a single rise out of yeast.  It was just a weird thing there.  Other people in the department noted it, too, however-- so it was something funky about the air there, I guess, or the minerals in the water, or the humidity or SOMETHING.

Sorry for the tangent.  Just struck me as one of those quirky yeast-bread things.

Western U.S.

Offline nameless

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 07:02:19 PM »
You know, living in E. WA was the only place that I could only get a single rise out of yeast.  It was just a weird thing there.  Other people in the department noted it, too, however-- so it was something funky about the air there, I guess, or the minerals in the water, or the humidity or SOMETHING.

Sorry for the tangent.  Just struck me as one of those quirky yeast-bread things.

I've just wasted enough ingredients over the years to make myself take the time to proof the yeast. If your temp is too low (under 105'ish) it'll take over a half hour to even show a sign of life. Over 115 and you kill the yeast. I like a nice 10 minute proof, makes me happy to see the little bubbles and froth and know it'll rise when I ask it to :)

I'm an anxious bread baker and proofing takes away some of the anxiety. Now at least I've got enough experience to know when to stop kneading and what the dough should look/feel like, that takes time. Now I've started to do more complicated recipes :)

I have a 4 rise babka recipe waiting for when I have a whole day.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:06:34 AM »
Part of my problem is.....I'm not really happy with my bread machine.  It makes good bread, but I'm not happy with it.

My kitchenaid is replacing so many things, and I've been thinking maybe it could replace my breadmachine too.

I DO appreciate the detailed instructions.  I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed right now.  January blahs?