FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pizza Ranch -- ACK I need help  (Read 5268 times)

Description:

Offline GingerPye

Pizza Ranch -- ACK I need help
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:34:01 PM »
My daughter has a competition on Saturday.  She'll be away from home.  The team is eating at a Pizza Ranch Saturday night.  Has anyone been there?  I've never set foot in one.  Is there any hope for milk, egg, and peanut allergies?! 
We are sending lunch with her and she says she will just not eat supper if nothing is safe.  I want to try to find a salad or something she can have.  Is there hope??
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline nameless

Re: Pizza Ranch -- ACK I need help
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 11:00:02 PM »
Not sure - but can't you send with her lunch and dinner in a cooler sack? Many times I've had to wing dinner on stuff like applesauce, soybutter, bread/bagel/pita, dry cereal, homemade muffins/snack bar, etc.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 12:00:25 PM »
Yes, but she doesn't want to do that.  (Teenager)   I probably will send anyway.  But it would be nice if there were something at Pizza Ranch she could order.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline nameless

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »
Yes, but she doesn't want to do that.  (Teenager)   I probably will send anyway.  But it would be nice if there were something at Pizza Ranch she could order.

Yeah, she'll get over that eventually. Enough times being hungry and eventually you just own the allergy and not care you've got a sandwich from home while others are eating restaurant food. 

I've been there, I get it. Owning your allergy is a confidence thing. You've got to just be confident and "I don't care what someone else thinks", that comes with time. My strategy is just to be blase about it. Just doing it, whipping out that sandwich and chips like there is nothing wrong. When asked, "Oh, I just can't eat here, no worries!" and continue on, no blushing about it, no being embarrassed, no deep explaining. It's a skill I had to learn.

Hope she gets there sooner rather than later, makes the world easier to navigate :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Online Mezzo

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:11:58 PM »
I remember someone on this board a long time ago had talked with them and found out that they purposely use no peanut ingredients.  But managing a milk allergy seems impossible with that, doesn't it?  Hard to be a teenager with FAs.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:14:39 AM »

Yeah, she'll get over that eventually. Enough times being hungry and eventually you just own the allergy and not care you've got a sandwich from home while others are eating restaurant food. 

I've been there, I get it. Owning your allergy is a confidence thing. You've got to just be confident and "I don't care what someone else thinks", that comes with time. My strategy is just to be blase about it. Just doing it, whipping out that sandwich and chips like there is nothing wrong. When asked, "Oh, I just can't eat here, no worries!" and continue on, no blushing about it, no being embarrassed, no deep explaining. It's a skill I had to learn.

Hope she gets there sooner rather than later, makes the world easier to navigate :)

Adrienne

Yes, that is EXACTLY it.  She doesn't have that confidence yet.  Too hard to be a teen and be different.    I wish you could talk with her!!

I called the Pizza Ranch that she'll be visiting and talked with the manager, who was very nice and extremely well-informed about FAs.  I was surprised

This restaurant has someone come in almost daily with milk allergy.  They are going to open up new containers for DD of whatever she decides she wants to eat.  (They have a buffet.)  I was read all kinds of labels over the phone and they will be available for DD to look at. 
We talked about prep and X-contam --- they are on top of it. 
This manager will be there tonight when DD goes there.  We have a couple of different menus planned for her and DD will decide when she gets there.   She has a choice of a wrap sandwich or breaded chicken or a salad, or a combination.  Pizza apparently would even be a possibility but I told DD not to do the pizza.   She has enough other choices.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline nameless

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 07:51:49 PM »
great! glad it worked out, and the part about putting the decision in her hands and having her work with the manager once there is something towards confidence building and "owning it"

Let me know if you want to write something up about confidence and attitude and whatnot for her about my experiences and how I handle things now and how I got here :)

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 07:10:54 AM »
Oh Adrienne I think many of us would appreciate that!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 08:59:59 AM »
oh goodness YES!!  Please do write something up!! 
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 09:58:33 PM »
There's a PR about 2 miles from me and I've been too chicken to eat there. How did her experience go?
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »
It went really well.  Curious where your PR is??  This was about 1.5 hrs away. 

The manager at this PR deals with someone with milk allergy who eats there often.  They really did well keeping everything separate.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma