login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: coconut water?  (Read 1859 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

coconut water?
« on: January 23, 2012, 10:31:30 PM »
I just found a recipe I'd like to try that calls for coconut water. It does say that you can use juice but one of the reviewers seemed to really like it with the coconut water. I don't think I've ever seen this at the store but then I've never looked for it. Does anyone use this?

eta the recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/851771/oatmeal-smoothies
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline GoingNuts

Re: coconut water?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:16:14 AM »
It is all over the place now - one popular brand I can think off right off the top of my head is Zico.

I've tried it myself, and it is delicious!

I have no idea which brands, if any, are safe.   They are all going to be labeled for tree nuts since coconut has been reclassified, but my DS is not allergic to coconut and eats it quite frequently.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 09:08:11 AM »
I'm sure there are brands out there that are in a can, bottle, or juice-box.  But if you can't find any you trust, coconut water is the liquid inside the coconut, so you could get a fresh one in the produce section and crack it open for the water. (Coconut milk is made from the flesh of the coconut, so there is a difference).
USA

Offline candyguru

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 08:40:44 PM »
They are all going to be labeled for tree nuts since coconut has been reclassified, but my DS is not allergic to coconut and eats it quite frequently.

That's interesting.. in the USA, coconut is considered a tree nut?

In Canada, the Canadian government does not consider coconut as a tree nut (I think it is considered a fruit?).  That's why Dare coconut cookies say "nut-free" on the label, as an example.
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Offline Jessica

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 03:48:04 AM »
Yes, in the USA the idiotic powers that be have decided it's a tree nut. So now some companies will label "may contain tree nuts" when the only "tree nut" in question is coconut.

thanks everyone. I think I'll find out what brands are at the store and call. I don't want to crack open a coconut.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA