FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: South America  (Read 1976 times)

Description:

Offline willsmom

South America
« on: January 28, 2012, 01:54:45 PM »
I realize this is different than most posts here....this is a long shot but I thought it would be worth a try.  Our son is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts.  We just found out we might have the opportunity to move to South America for my husband's work.  We can PICK where we want to live.  Looking at Buenos Aires, Argentina or Santiago, Chile.  Does anyone know anything about life with food allergies down there? 

We did do an expat assignment once before, in Shanghai, China.  In a way, that was easy because all the expats shopped at the import grocery store, where everything was imported from UK and Australia.  They have good labeling re: cross contamination, so I really had no concerns (we just didn't eat out much!)....I'm not sure that would really be the case in South America. 

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: South America
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:16:59 AM »
Someone may be able to chime in that is more helpful than this but I know a few years ago we were looking into going ex-pat somewhere.  We were subscribed to a magazine whose name I cannot remember and just attempted to Google.  Wow - there are actually amazing amounts of resources and message boards.  (And when DH comes home, I will ask him the name of the original magazine). 

I think even if you cannot find someone with allergies specifically, maybe you can find a group of ex-pats in the two areas who can do some research for you in regards to food sources, local cuisines, international groceries, schools doctors and pharmacies.  Most ex-pats I know are more than happy to convince you to live where they do :)

Now I am kinda wishing we did look into it more.  I was just so scared given our allergy set, language barrier, etc to leave the US to live long term.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline willsmom

Re: South America
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:08:15 PM »
Thank you!  Aren't you kind to go googling for me  :-)   I see some of the expat forums/boards.  Haven't seen anything on it yet as I'm browsing the threads, but I guess I'll register and post the question.  Thanks!