imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Scent Free Body Products  (Read 3922 times)

Description:

Offline Janelle205

Scent Free Body Products
« on: January 28, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »
Can anyone recommend what they have found to be the most scent-free versions of body wash, shaving cream, shampoo, etc.?

Fiancee is currently quarrantined after he took a shower.  We have mostly unscented stuff, but sometimes it still bothers me - my asthma is super sensitive.

He is not opposed to using 'girly' products.  We currently share what most would consider to be a more 'feminine' body wash - he doesn't really care at all - prefers me to breathe, and lets be serious, your manliness is not determined by what hygiene products you use, axe commercials be damned.

Offline Janelle205

Re: Scent Free Body Products
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
Addendum: Don't worry about checking on allergen status for me - I have a good amount of atypical stuff, (I really wanted to type atypical atopy - that makes me laugh - cough syrup :) ) so I'll check out anything anyone recommends before using it myself.  And even if your recommendation doesn't work for me, it may work for someone else.

Also, I have moderate to very sensitive skin, depending on my current environmental allergen load.

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:05:43 PM »
The only thing I can think of is Vanicream lotion.. I thought they had soap, too, but I might be imagining that.  Vanicream lotion is scent free. :)
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
Neutrogena BAR soaps are nearly scentless-- though the liquid stuff is most definitely NOT.

The one thing that I can also think of which is almost entirely scent-free (or the scent washes REALLY cleanly, anyway) most likely contains allergens for you--

Suave cucumber-melon body wash and shampoo.

DH recently came home with some stuff that I think is also VERY light in the scent department (we both have to be careful there, too)--

It's White Rain brand, lavender-vanilla body wash. 

I basically use the sniff test on the cheap stuff because I got tired of spending $$$$ on mail-order only to find out that, while 'scentless' I didn't appreciate the au de rancid animal fat scent EITHER.   :P

I don't know if you can tolerate doing that, but a lot of the "natural" scented (well, theoretically so, anyway) stuff from Suave, White Rain, and VO-5 are pretty easy on the airways.  Green tea is a scent that I tolerate very well.  I think this is a very individual thing, though.  I find that herbal family of scents don't bother me as much as florals or musky stuff does.

Stay far, far away from Ivory and Dove.  OMG... stinky, stinky, stinky, with the possible exception of Dove's lemongrass shampoo.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 10:40:01 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline krasota

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 10:57:41 PM »
AFM Safechoice shampoo.
Conditioner made with SoapCrafter's flakes + water + whatever oils I feel like adding.
Organic Soaps & Balms/Brigit True Organics plain old hard castile soap (either the baby or the Diabeticae line or the plain harry soap--all the same, so I buy whatever's in stock at the shop here in town)

These are all truly fragrance-free. 
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline nameless

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »
I seem to recall I bought about a year ago - some unscented body wash (and it really was) from either Sunflower Market or Whole Foods, in their aisles for that stuff. I think it was Whole Foods.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:42:33 AM »
Dove makes an unscented men's body wash. I get it for DS sometimes.

CVS has their brand of Eucerine scent free in a pump and a tube  Last year I loved it. This year what I bought isn't scent free really, so my skin is sooo dry. Maybe it was a bad batch but I am about to go back and get the Eucerine  version. I love this lotion.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
Vanicream has the shampoo, hairspray, soap, etc. 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »
A lot of big-box/craft stores sell glycerine soap for microwave soap-making-- it is truly scent-free.  Remembered that last night.  It's also not nearly so drying as many detergent-based body washes are.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »
Thanks everyone - lots of stuff I can look into.  I knew the folks here would have lots of good ideas.

I don't know if you can tolerate doing that, but a lot of the "natural" scented (well, theoretically so, anyway) stuff from Suave, White Rain, and VO-5 are pretty easy on the airways.  Green tea is a scent that I tolerate very well.  I think this is a very individual thing, though.  I find that herbal family of scents don't bother me as much as florals or musky stuff does.

This seems to be true for me - herbal scents seem to be better.  Right now our hand soap for the bathroom is from the dollar store - I find that the really cheap stuff tends to not be as strongly scented as the more expensive brands.

Offline nameless

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 10:07:13 PM »
have you tried smelling the Trader Joe's citrus body wash or the tea tree body wash?  I hate hate hate fake citrus, their wash is citrus oils and very light/natural to me. There is "fragrance" listed last in the ingredients though.  The tea tree one is pepperminty to me, but still kinda has the tang of tea tree. It lists eucalyptus but I'm hard pressed to smell it...and I've a hound dog nose. Again - all oils of real things.

I have both in my shower :)

Good luck!
Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 10:27:45 PM »
I'll look for that the next time I make it to Trader Joe's - the nearest is in Cleveland, which is about two hours, so it's a special trip.  That might work well though too - my current kitchen hand soap is a cheap dollar store grapefruit with an extremely light scent, and it doesn't bother me at all.