login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Pie Crust question  (Read 4615 times)

Description: recipe added

Offline SilverLining

Pie Crust question
« on: January 29, 2012, 01:53:47 PM »
I made pie crust and it turned out well.  It makes enough for two pies, or one pie with a lid.

If I only use half (make one lidless pie) how long will the raw dough last in the fridge?  While it might be possible to cut the recipe in half, that doesn't always work, and since I've never made a decent pie crust in my life Prior to this one, I don't want to mess around.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:28:28 AM by SilverLining »

Offline SilverLining

Re: Pie Crust question
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:57:59 PM »
While searching for a recipe for a filling I want, I found the answer to my question.

3 days.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 02:05:39 PM »
I make horrible pie crust but if I could make a good one - I'd freeze some!  It would be nice to reach in and grab a completely safe crust, fill and bake!

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
I was wondering about that too.  If it could be frozen without any negative effect.

I used the pir crust recipe that came with my Kitchenaid.  It actually turned out quite good.  Surprised myself.   ;D

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:51:10 PM »
Pie crusts freeze well.  Store bought is better than mine come out, so i haven't made one in years, but I know they do freeze well (at least standard recipes do).
USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 06:07:13 PM »
My great-grandma made wonderful pie crusts and froze them all the time.  In fact, after she passed, there was a little bit of a 'friendly' argument about who was going to get the ones that were still left in her freezer.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »
Also, addendum - when I first started making pie crusts, I used the recipe out of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook - which has measurements for both a single crust and a double crust pie.  If I remember correctly, the single crust pie measurements were a little bit different than just 'halving' the double crust recipe - if you are willing to try a different recipe I'm sure you could find a single crust recipe on the internet.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 07:03:52 AM »
So canit be frozen in a ball and rolled out when it thaws?

I probably could find another....but since I had success with this one, I'd rather not play around.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 09:00:27 AM »
gee, I think you should post your recipe!
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »
So canit be frozen in a ball and rolled out when it thaws?

I probably could find another....but since I had success with this one, I'd rather not play around.

I'm not sure about that - grandma always froze them in tins already shaped.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 04:17:53 PM »
Well then I guess I can try it and report back.   ;D

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
I've seen them frozen in a thick disc.  So thicker than rolled out, but not a ball.  I guess it thaws more quickly and evenly that way, but you don't have to worry about it breaking because it's so thin.
USA

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 09:27:38 AM »
gee, I think you should post your recipe!

KITCHENAID PIE PASTRY

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup shortening, well chilled
2 tbs butter or margarine, well chilled
5 to 6 tbs cold water

Place flour and salt in mixer bowl.  Attach bowl and flat beater to mixer.  Turn to Stir Speed and mix about 15 seconds.  Cut shortening and butter into pieces and add to flour mixture.  Turn to Stir Speed and mix until shortening particles are size of small peas, 30 to 45 seconds.

Continuing on Stir Speed, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, mixing until ingredients are moistened and dough begins to hold together.  Divide dough in half.  Pat each half into a smooth ball and flatten slightly.  Wrap in plastic wrap.  Chill in refrigerator 15 minutes.

Roll one half of dough to 1/8 inch thickness between sheets of waxed paper.  Fold pastry into quarters.  Ease into 8- or 9- inch pie plate and unfold, pressing firmly against bottom and sides.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 10:14:15 AM »
Thanks!   :thumbsup:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...