FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 3 years post elem  (Read 2683 times)

Description:

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
3 years post elem
« on: February 03, 2012, 08:38:33 AM »
I am pretty disappointed that the work I did in elementary school to educate the principal and nurse really hasn't  changed anything.  It changed things for my ds, but unfortunately they are pretty much back to the old ways of exclusion.
I have spoken to several people who have young kids with allergies and they are re-living what I lived in early elem.  What a shame. 
My bf is pto pres and apparently a bunch of moms have changed 5th grade activities that were modified the year we were in 5th to remove food.  its been the same until this year and a bunch of moms won the war to bring back the breakfast, bring back the food fest that 5th grade used to be.  The food fests were replaced with some really great team activities that did not involve food.

One mom who has 2 kids with allergies is killing herself getting on every committee she can so she can have some control over food.  Unbelievable.

I met a realtor who lives a block away at our tour the other day and he is going nuts trying to keep his 1st grader safe with egg, milk, peanut allergies.  He's scared everyday. 

I have told them all about 504 and some of what I did when ds was little.  It just makes me angry that what I thought I accomplished (awareness, how to include etc) is just down the toilet.  Makes me even more angry that principal and others involved admitted how much easier things were with a plan. 

editing to add that I still see a lot of great support from ds peers.  In fact, yesterday a mom told me that her ds had a PBJ for the bus ride to the basketball game.  this boy didn't go to our elem school and not close with ds.  Apparently ds smelled the pb and as he was looking around to see what it was about 4 boys one the bus were freaking out telling him to put it away!  The kid felt so bad.  He washed face and hands, rinsed mouth etc. 
The kids get it.  Most of the parents get it.  Its just that the school didn't apply what I showed them about inclusion, planning, non food events, at a minimum approved packaged foods.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:55:54 AM by Mfamom »
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: 3 years post elem
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »
Makes me sad and sickened too.

But absolutely NOT surprised.

Not.at.all . . .

it's THEM not you. 

Beyond shameful.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »
Ouch.

I'm sorry.  Some places can embrace real change, and some can't, I guess.   :disappointed:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:25:09 PM »
I know our district websites have allergy statements and references scattered about. there is official policy in the handbook. Room moms are "officially" in charge of things like drinks, and our student organization provides foods supposedly more allergy safe than previously. All our schools now have nurses full time (from what I understand), and all bus drivers and teachers are inserviced yearly on institute day to use an epi pen.

When I arrived, there were no school nurses full time, and they were denying my son's right to carry. PBJ hasn't been on the "Brown Bag" federally funded menu since. I have the letter from the district lawyer for our region, who stated it was "not a productive use of time" since I had disenrolled my son.  ;D

Marching band no longer provides buffet style food during camp. Students bring their own, parents bring it, or they go out to eat during specified breaks. I know that's a HUGE relief for a dozen or so band moms who had to shop for, cook, and serve it.

Two days ago, a fireman whose wife is heavily involved in the school district asked my husband if *I* was responsible for epi pens being kept on hand in the school district that don't belong to any specific child (we are in Illinois). Good gravy, my husband had to come home and ask me if I was. I said, NO.....deaths of individuals who needed epi are. Our good senator is. The people who drew up the proposal, researched it, and voted for it are.  A person high up in special education made the same inquiry a bit ago as well *to me*. While I'm not, I'd like to think that means I left my mark, and some on a few asses. People still ask how my son is managing. As a matter of fact, his elementary school principal asked me for an update today, even.  :)

Be the change you wish to see, yes? As I've posted elsewhere, while I do not have a child with food allergies *now* in elementary education, I'm part of the valentine party planning committee for my daughter's kinder class, and I'm probably alienating myself taking special care to include children with red dye, peanut, and milk allergies. Questioning plans apparently already made. <shrug> Someone has to, and to this day, if anything peeves me, it's when I hear of a parent at this age level who has left instructions that their child doesn't have to be included.

So.....while the policies are in place, there's still a lot of work left for doing.   We can't just grow "up" with our children and away from the system if it's ever going to change. There's a lot of educating to be done. I think once you've been *that mom*, you always will be. I'm not saying overrule another mother's choice for her child, but if you have the power to change the external circumstances, remind people of the policies, and hold the powers that be accountable for enforcing them, then so be it. We don't have to have pink hot chocolate or strawberry punch, or cross contaminated anything at a party with a milk, peanut and red dye allergy. <shrug> 

We've heard for years from children, now adults who said "well, no special changes were ever made for me". Now they can hear from children, now adults who can say "I wasn't excluded" or "I almost died but epinephrine and an ambulance ride saved me."

Aside from that, I also take the time to informally guide people through the process and introduce them to the keystones I've met along the way and who "get it" that can assist them, both wrt educational needs, evaluations, and food allergies. Sometimes I'm just there at an appointment as a support person who can remember appointments, key points, and what needs to be done.

It's not like I ever felt I was going to be able to walk away from the teaching end of it. 
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 07:36:42 PM »
Yes-- as Ark's post indicates (and I suppose as mine is about to)-- schools and districts that WANT to be led to do the right things can make AMAZING progress with one dedicated and assertive parent.

Our school, all 35,000 students of it...

have a policy of evaluating children with food allergies for eligibility under section 504. 

I did that.  The national asst. director of special education flew out to meet us personally many years later, and THANK US for being responsible for her EPIPHANY on the subject of hidden disability in general and food allergy in particular.  (Of course, this happened at the ill-fated picnic where DD anaphylaxed... so we didn't exactly savor the moment like we might have otherwise...)

My daughter was the first child in the program that made demands on the system through the vehicle of Section 504, and I made it my business to be persistant enough that I was even able to change things that I wasn't sure could be changed under the circumstances.

They've eliminated food on short "non-food" focused field trips in my state.  And they do not mention food allergies as the reason. 

I'm still utterly amazed by that provision.  It was 'necessary' but even I can see that it goes well past "reasonable" in some ways.

Still, I credit the fact that ultimately, they had a willingness that some schools do not. 
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 08:24:02 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline joanna5

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:05:59 PM »
How disheartening... I hope that with your tips, the parents at the school are able to turn the tide back around.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline Arkadia

• BANNED
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »
For all i know my son was the first child to have a food allergy addressed under an IEP via "Other Health Impairment" in the regional cooperative".  i still remember with glee the Machievellan choice i set forth at the I E P eligibility meeting.   :happydance:
just tell me: "Hey, a***ole, you hurt my feelings!"

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 09:36:24 AM »
Whwn my son started jk I happened to meet the mom that got the pb ban brought in to his school.  Her son was in middle school when mine started elementary.  When my son graduated, the school still strictly followed the pb ban, and had added a nut ban and a latex ban, and shoes and socks must be worn on grassy play area (to lower the risk of nsect bites & stings).

Now, my son is in the middle school that the same mom got a peanut ban in.  They have added  nut ban, put signs on classrooms (core room) of students with food allergies, and much of the food sold in the cafeteria is peanut/nut free.

Some of this probably relates to Sabrina's Law, but the law does NOT require these specific steps.

My point is, sometimes being the pioneer does keep future students safe.