Student Innovation Project relating to Food Allergen Labeling

Started by wearerobo, February 07, 2012, 04:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wearerobo

Hello,

The theme of this year's First Lego League Robotics and Innovation Prize Competition is on Food Safety.  Our team has come up with a food safety barcode containing allergen information that can be applied to menus and food packaging.  2 of our 4 members have food allergies (peanuts and milk/dairy) so this is close at heart for our team.  We would love if members could comment on our ideas and vote if you like it and want to bring a stronger awareness of food allergen as part of the food safety issue.  The kids ideas were derived from historical cases such as the unfortunate tragedy relating to the allergen incident at Bertucci's restaurant.  Please go to this site:

http://fllinnovationaward.firstlegoleague.org/u-eatsafe-code

Also on our submitted project page is a link to a 6-minute video of the kids project.  I hope that you can vote for our idea.  We noted that the "Vote" button does not work in IE7 so you have to use other browsers or IE8 and above.  Any comments here regarding our project will be appreciated.

lakeswimr

This is a great idea!  :)  Very impressive.  I recommend you also post at www.kidswithfoodallergies.org  They have 28,000 members now and you might get a lot of votes from people there.  I like the idea of people with being able to eat in restaurants using this method.  :) 

Good job! 

GoingNuts

Have to run off to work, but can't wait to check this out later or tomorrow.  Very intriguing!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

rebekahc

TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

suevv

Fabulous idea.  One of those - "so simple - so elegant - why don't we already have this moments"  You got my vote!

CMdeux

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

lakeswimr

Quote from: lakeswimr on February 07, 2012, 05:11:19 PM
This is a great idea!  :)  Very impressive.
I like the idea of people with being able to eat in restaurants using this method.  :) 

Good job!

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview