FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: THE video we've all wanted to make . . .  (Read 2659 times)

Description: and likely contiributed to in some way . . .

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
THE video we've all wanted to make . . .
« on: February 14, 2012, 07:57:15 PM »
. . . or another:

http://foodallergybitch.blogspot.com/2012/02/hello-muddah-food-allergies-version.html

Hello, Muddah - Food Allergy Version

~ ~ ~

:bonking:

A quintrillion times THANK YOU.

:smooch:
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: THE video we've all wanted to make . . .
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 08:06:06 PM »
Awwww....

LOVE the FAB.  Always.   :smooch:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline socks on a rooster

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:07:22 AM »
 :happydance:Deserves a grammy nomination!  :happydance: Thank you! Thoroughly enjoying the blog as well.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:40:45 AM »
Funny!  the blog is good, too.  I wasn't with her on the one about 'exaggerating' since the things she listed are not exaggerations.  While most all FA reactions will self-resolve, once a reaction is systemic we don't know which will and which won't so they all have to be treated as potentially life-threatening.  I do hear her on the anxiety thing.  That is an important topic and I think changing one's focus or the amount of time spent thinking about this can help that.  Other blog posts were very good. 

Offline my3guys

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 07:26:58 AM »
What an awesome song!! So perfect! Thanks for posting.  Always good to start the day feeling understood and with a laugh ;D

Offline maeve

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
Funny!  the blog is good, too.  I wasn't with her on the one about 'exaggerating' since the things she listed are not exaggerations.  While most all FA reactions will self-resolve, once a reaction is systemic we don't know which will and which won't so they all have to be treated as potentially life-threatening.  I do hear her on the anxiety thing.  That is an important topic and I think changing one's focus or the amount of time spent thinking about this can help that.  Other blog posts were very good. 

I felt the same way about that blog entry. 
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »

I felt the same way about that blog entry.

Just by putting it out there she put many kids at risk who do have those kinds of reactions.  How many non-allergic administrators would read that and discount us as crazy food allergic folk who blow everything out of proportion.  Because I don't have a hard enough time convincing people that my son's wheat and barley allergies are just as bad as peanuts thanks to the general media.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »
Awesome song.

Offline rainbow

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
Love it  :thumbsup:

Agree on the exaggeration blog.  I got her point, BUT... didn't necessarily agree w/ the approach as some nonaffected parents could misinterpret the point. And that could be dangerous.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »
... but that is her point, in some respects.

We as parents feel forced to "dumb it down" so that any idiot can understand what we need to tell them.  It shouldn't be necessary in the first place if people just listened to us an accepted what we tell them to begin with.

And it does come at a VERY heavy emotional cost to us-- and eventually (though parents of younger kids don't see it yet) to our kids as young adults.

It threatens to undermine their inherent confidence in their own ability to manage their allergies well.   :yes:  I think that her point is an EXCELLENT one, and I think that she nicely skirts the issue of this being something that is an issue FOR FA PARENTS... not for people who are not living this.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!