FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Harry Potter/Universal Studios  (Read 8267 times)

Description:

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
Harry Potter/Universal Studios
« on: February 15, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »
We are thinking of doing an impromptu trip to Orlando which would involve a trip to Universal Studios to see the Harry Potter stuff.  Having a hard time finding info on-line about the food.

Anyone have any info?

Offline GingerPye

Re: Harry Potter/Universal Studios
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 03:31:58 PM »
We were there in June.  We had a difficult time getting food for the kids but we did manage to get meals there.  We did not research it ahead, though.  (I did bring a boatload of snacks with me, just in case.)  Wasn't the ideal way to do it, but we managed.

We ate at a Burger King near the entrance for lunch, and then for supper we ate at the Dr. Seuss circus tent place (cannot think of the name).   The cafes we stopped at to inquire did have allergy books, but there was precious little our two kids could have at most of the cafes, until we got to the Dr. Seuss part.  Then, they could only have a hot dog and chips; I think we also bought a bowl of fruit if I'm remembering correctly. 

If just a peanut allergy, you might have much better success than we did.  With that said, my kids enjoyed the Harry Potter/Universal park even more than Epcot --  we did not do Disney proper  :hiding:.  We did other Florida things -- and had a great time. 
My DD says the HPotter stuff was her favorite of this trip.  My DS loved the Jurassic Park part and also the Gatorland park.  I enjoyed the beach  :coolbeans:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:35:07 PM by GingerPye »
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline CookieMomster

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 06:59:22 PM »
We brought our own food for ds into the park, but I did notice that they sold giant turkey legs in several locations at Universal.  Turkey legs are one of the few safe foods we can usually find at amusement parks and renaissance faires (along with SuperPretzels).  There are very few ingredients, clearly marked on the boxes the vendors offer to show us, and usually prepared in their own warmer with little cross contamination risk. 
DS (16) - NKA
DS (12) - milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, cherries, and watermelon.  (Outgrew corn, wheat, soy, peas, and green beans.)
Environmental allergies to mold, trees and grasses. 
OAS to almost all fresh fruit and vegetables except citrus and grapes

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 07:16:48 PM »
Really?!  We didn't see those.  Wish we had.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 08:24:03 PM »
Don't do the butterbeer!!!

I was told it was not peanut/treenut allergy safe.
Allergic to: Peanuts, Tree nuts, Mango, Robitussin, Acetaminophen

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »
What is butter beer?

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »
In Harry Potter they drink butter beer. So it's offered at Harry Potter world.

U.S.A.

Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
~George Carlin

Online hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:14 PM »
Ok, but my question is still what is it?  Are we talking root beer-ish? soda? 

I was thinking we would do universal at the end of the trip, but now I'm thinking at the beginning.  May do Blue Man Group over there also.

Offline SweetandSour

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:59:52 PM »
TBH, I am not sure what it is either. LOL  It's not a soda persay. Some people say it tastes a bit like butterscotch.

I just know they drink it in the books.

U.S.A.

~George Carlin

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 12:35:14 PM »
Butterbeer has milk in it, as I recall.  We asked.  But they also had a fruit drink of some kind that my kids could have.  We had that instead.  Hubby had a butterbeer and said it tasted like a butterrum kind of drink.  Not soda.
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma

Offline willsmom

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 09:25:00 PM »
I can't speak to specific foods there, but a few months ago we came back from Orlando (Disney), and we had great luck there using Garden Grocer: www.gardengrocer.com.  You can order ahead from home and specify delivery date.  They delivered it to our hotel before we got there, the bellmen took care of it (including perishables - just put the in the hotel refrigerator and freezer).  They had great service and even sent me a text so I knew when I got off the plane that it had already been delivered.  Their delivery spots book up fast, so order several days in advance (maybe even a week).

We found we saved money doing it this way - even with the extra costs of a suite with mini kitchen, because eating out is so expensive.  That said, if you are getting a standard hotel room, they would be great even for having tons of snacks on hand and not having to drag them with you on the plane!

Good luck.