Five Guys burgers

Started by candyguru, February 20, 2012, 10:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

candyguru

They opened a Five Guys burgers in the Toronto area....   saw on their web site they "Under the guidance of Jerry and Janie, the Murrell family served only hand-formed burgers cooked to perfection on a grill along with fresh-cut fries cooked in pure peanut oil."

They currently have 900 locations in the USA plus they expanded to Canada a few years ago and have several locations here.  o be careful...  PEANUT OIL!

http://www.fiveguys.com/about-us.aspx
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)

Scout

yes we have one at our mall........my son said there is so much pnut oil the floor is slippery.....and they have jars of peanuts on the talbles...so they are not hididng it..

beware, he said it was ok......but In n Out is much better.....

candyguru

yes, just read the following on their website in the FAQs:

Q: If so many people are allergic to peanuts, why does Five Guys continue to offer them?

A: Over the past 20 years, peanuts have become part of the Five Guys identity. We by no means want to exclude guests from our store, but at the same time we would not want to disappoint our peanut eating guests. We make sure that we have signage on our doors and in our restaurants about the fact that we serve peanuts in bulk containers as we would never want someone to risk their health by coming into our restaurants.

===========================================

yes, I think I will stay away from this restaurant as loose peanuts in bulk containers plus peanut oil sounds too scary to me...  I'll stick with South Street Burgers/New York Fries

DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould

Princess Cheese

Even if I WAS able to eat peanuts, that would still disgust me.. wayy too greasy/salty.
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

GoingNuts

Our local 5 Guys has a sign warning  allergic folks not to enter.  I appreciate their forthrightness - if not their menu.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

candyguru

Quote from: GoingNuts on February 20, 2012, 08:40:29 PM
Our local 5 Guys has a sign warning  allergic folks not to enter.  I appreciate their forthrightness - it not their menu.

Yes, they also do not allow customers to exit the restaurant with loose peanuts so they do sound responsible..

joshsmom

One near me there are always peanuts all over the sidewalk. It drives me crazy. It is right near our Moe's Southwest Grill so sometimes we have to park in front of it.

maeve

Quote from: candyguru on February 20, 2012, 10:59:53 AM
They opened a Five Guys burgers in the Toronto area....   saw on their web site they "Under the guidance of Jerry and Janie, the Murrell family served only hand-formed burgers cooked to perfection on a grill along with fresh-cut fries cooked in pure peanut oil."

They currently have 900 locations in the USA plus they expanded to Canada a few years ago and have several locations here.  o be careful...  PEANUT OIL!

http://www.fiveguys.com/about-us.aspx

The chain started in my area (Washington, DC) suburbs.  In fact, I used to live less than a mile from one of the original locations.  I think there's been other posts about them on the past.  They not only have the buckets of peanuts but patrons just drop the shells on the floor and tables.  It's definitely someplace to stay away from if you're allergic to peanuts.  It's a shame because their burgers are very good.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

2boyz4me

Ours will let you take some of their peanuts out of their store, IF you put them in a sealed brown paper sack.

We love Five Guys .... the burgers are just as good as home-made. But, we're not a fan of their fries (but will eat them on occasion, Ashton likes them). For us, it's a go to quick meal for dinner if we need something and I don't have time to cook.

and yes, there is signage EVERYWHERE stating they use peanut oil and have loose peanuts in store.
Jenn
Ashton (15) & Holden (12)
Both have env. allergies & H has LFTA to shrimp & sesame ......

tigerlily

Reminds me of the time we thought we had to worry about fish/anchovies in some secret sauce in their burgers. DH and I discussed the "is it worth vetting?" merits. Screwed up our courage. Parked in front. Sent DH to do the questioning. He promptly returned.

Vats o' peanuts.

Only have been once to see what all the hoopla was about. Without the kids. It's good. Tremendously greasy. Haven't felt a need to revisit nut-land.

DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview