login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: New Jersey Schools article Feb. 2012  (Read 2293 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
New Jersey Schools article Feb. 2012
« on: February 25, 2012, 05:03:45 AM »
http://www.northjersey.com/news/139874143_Glen_Rock_school_board_continues_discussion_on_peanut_policy_.html?c=y&page=1

Some really GREAT comments, among the posts there . . . though, as usual, some stinkers too.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:07:09 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
Re: New Jersey Schools article Feb. 2012
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 07:12:14 AM »
Ha!  you beat me!  was coming to post about this.  I know there was an incident before holiday break where a child had another child smear pb on her face and she went into ana shock.  same school district.  this is the same district that I posted about a few years back where the home page of the school had some highly discriminatory wording about allergies/kids with allergies. 

the other interesting thing about this town is that it is small (about 6,500 population), but seems like EVERYONE there has pa, sa etc.  Like there is a pa cluster or something. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:14:27 AM by Mfamom »
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:01:21 AM »
i spoke with someone i know in this town.  I even offered up some help to the mom heading the "ban".
I think it is interesting because the ban approach never seems to go well, but educating oneself about section 504 and law, then asking for individual accommodations seems to work better. 
The person I spoke with said the two moms in the article were actually physical with each other (as in throwing punches)

Committee Member Hermes

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:24:44 AM »
Good heavens.

I mean, in the case of a parent of a FA child, that is almost understandable, particularly if the child's safety has actually been threatened...

but in the case of a parent who's just fighting for...

um...

yeah.   Having trouble wrapping my head around this one.  How the heck does THAT one go in one's internal monologue?   :dunce:

I punched another mom because, dammit, my kid is ENTITLED to have a cupcake/peanut butter sandwich/treat/whatever and to hand them out to the entire friggin CLASS anytime we feel like it...So I put that ****** in her place-- who does she think she is, anyway??  She has NO RIGHT...

Seriously?

:insane:

The sheer level of absurdity involved in actually stating that FA parents are "not being compassionate" by asking for handwashing... is.... um... kind of mind-boggling.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 12:22:33 PM »
yeah, this is gonna be ugly.  very small, affluent town.  a lot of pa kids for some reason.  there has been several incidents with kids this year needing epi at school.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 12:30:52 PM »
Wow.  Well if parents ignore the rules and send in homemade food, send it home.  That is what our school did.  If you don't enforce the rules, of course people don't follow them.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline rainbow

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 05:11:56 PM »
Agree - sounds like the Administration and Teachers are afraid to send unsafe food home.  They have a policy "requiring" packaged foods with ingredient labels. Yet, "class parents send in baked items and mothersp send in birthday cakes for their child" and no one turns them back!  And one kid told the other the cake "smelled like peanut butter - you shouldn't have eaten it".  Wake up call??!!!!

Administration needs a backbone. Parents need properly enforceable plans (504).  And non-affected parents need compassion.  Sounds like a bunch of spoiled moms there, it's all about MY child and MY TURN to be a COOL MOM.

And this:

"When a parent puts her child's birthday party snack above the health and safety of another student in that classroom, and the teacher and school district condone it, the message to students with allergies is that they're on their own."

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 05:53:04 PM »
funny too because 2 years ago I wrote to the principal about their allergy policy that was pretty discriminatory and exclusive.  they have since removed the tab.  There is a link on the school website for children with allergies parent permission to eat food for parties etc. 

so, wondering about the situation allowing the kid to eat "unknown" ingredients.  whoa.

I feel badly though because I know more details about the situation with the girl in first grade.  I'm sure these moms thought going to the school board was a good move and they would be met with concern from their community which is obviously not what happened.  the moms in the story actually were physical with each other.

Committee Member Hermes

njhere

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:16:42 AM »
Here is another article on this situation.  If you can chime in to support these families with helpful, logical  information or facts, that would be great.

Does anyone have an article on the situation in Connecticut where a boy almost died from peanut allergy in the locker room during a sports practice?

http://www.ridgewood.patch.com
glen-rock-parents-nuts-over-peanut-policy-in-schools/

here's the one I think you were trying to post.  if not, let me know

http://ridgewood.patch.com/articles/glen-rock-parents-nuts-over-peanut-policy-in-schools

edited by mfamom to fix the link. 
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:50:25 AM by Mfamom »

twinturbo

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 03:26:50 PM »
A fistfight? Or tussle over dumping a food in the trash?