login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Dr. Suess....  (Read 1445 times)

Description:

Offline MaryM

Dr. Suess....
« on: March 01, 2012, 10:42:26 AM »
Got an email from DS's teacher that she wants to give the kids a snack tomorrow for Dr. Suess's bday.  THis teacher always reaches out to me and wants to include everyone.  No separate safe treats for allergic kids.   Kids are all going to wear Pjs and she wants to do cookies & milk/juice.  She asked about Jello. I just sent her an email to ask if I could swing by to talk to her after school bc there is just too much to put in an email.  DS is allergic to milk, while the classroom is not dairy free, I am not comfortable with her serving milk to the majority of kids.   If she wants to buy pre packaged jello, then thats fine but that will cost - no way can she make it and bring it in.  I know she is really trying & this is a good opportunity to educate.  I have to get my thoughts together.  I wish the school would just get rid of food in the classroom.

Offline lakeswimr

Re: Dr. Suess....
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:30:26 PM »
It sounds like you are thinking right on this.  I would just stick with stating facts.  It is a fact that milk would not be safe so juice is better.   Ditto jello--it is a fact that home made treats are not safe in general due to potential x-contam so if she wants jello it has to be store-bought, premade, specific brand and you should still check the ingredients somehow.  I'd also not be shy to tell her politely your feelings that it is stressful and you would prefer a food-free classroom and that you do appreciate all her efforts and care she takes.  I agree--good opportunity for education.  Good luck!

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:05:34 PM »
Since Jello is made by mixing it with water, I'd say that if she were to mix it at school, using a bowl and utensils that were new, not previously used (maybe disposable), that could be OK.  Of course, that depends on your comfort zone and whether you think that would start the way on a slippery slope. 
USA

Offline MaryM

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »
The teacher was great.  I mentioned that pre-packaged labeled foods are always the best way to go.  She did not serve any milk.  We talked about the lunch table vs social isolation, inclusion for everyone etc.  She told me that another teacher (no idea who) would let the class have cupcakes, whatever and give the FA kids apple sauce.  She said that she'd never do that and every year finds out what will work for her class.  I didn't go into no food in the classroom but am considering trying to get it into the 504 for next year.