uKnow Peanut Test

Started by Jenmag7, March 01, 2012, 01:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajasfolks2

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

twinturbo

Quote from: ajasfolks2 on May 31, 2012, 07:44:19 PM
So, can QUEST do the draw?

I'm not sure our ped's office will do the draw (they suck -- yes, I just said that -- )

lol.

How it went for us: We asked directly, "Can we use ___________ lab?" Phadia called that lab to work out what I believe were its protocols to ensure integrity. They called us back with approval along with a short explanation on directions and how costs would be handled. From here it's like any other blood draw at our office of choice with the singular difference that we have to make an appointment.

Ped offices aren't good at draws. The best ones tend to be labs located inside hospitals. The staff there flexes between lab locations with some more experienced than others.

YouKnowWho

We have had better luck at any lab as opposed to drs offices - high traffic = more practice.  However when you are in/out patient at a hospital, those are the worst.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

booandbrimom

OK, I spent the three days and read the hundred research papers necessary to write this up:

The science behind component testing:

http://foodallergybitch.blogspot.com/2012/06/component-testing-pt-1-science.html

Why we should (or shouldn't) spend the money:

http://foodallergybitch.blogspot.com/2012/06/component-testing-pt2-why-should-we.html

CM, if you have corrections, let me know!

For those who are not biochemical protein scientists...let me know if it's helpful or still too dense. (And, of course, if you agree.)
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Jessica

I may call and see if I can get it at the local lab after all. My dd was diagnosed via skin test and has never reacted to peanut (but has never had it directly-when she was little and we didn't know all the ins and outs of pa, she did have foods that are now considered high risk for cross contamination). So I'm guessing she is a good candidate?
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Leticia

Lisa, where did you get this info? My son just got his results today ...positive on the ara h 3 so i have been looking for info about it ..thanks so much.

booandbrimom

Leticia, are you talking about the Ara h 3 and legume cross-reactivity info? That's actually kind of muddled, as there are epitopes on both Ara h 1 and Ara h 3 that can cross-react.

Here's the Bible:

http://www.phadia.com/Allergens/ImmunoCAP-Allergens/Food-of-Plant-Origin/Allergen-Components/rAra-h-1/

A little light reading for a Friday night.
What doesn't kill you makes you bitter.

Come commiserate with me: foodallergybitch.blogspot.com

Lisa

Hi Leticia,

If I remember correctly, I think it was actually indicated on the paperwork.  It is at my work, so I will check it tomorrow.

Jessica

Wish me luck. I called Phadia and they are supposed to get their local rep in touch with our ped and explain the test and why their office/lab should be able to do it.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

GoingNuts

"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Jessica

That's a first. The company actually called me back today (when does that ever happen??) and said the rep will be stopping in at the dr's office. Unfortunately dd answered the phone and she would make the worst secretary ever so I'm not sure when but hopefully in the next few days. DS has an appointment on friday so maybe they'll have some information for me by then.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Ree

Quote from: booandbrimom on June 01, 2012, 12:40:08 PM

For those who are not biochemical protein scientists...let me know if it's helpful or still too dense. (And, of course, if you agree.)

I'm not a biochemical protein scientist...It was extremely helpful, not too dense - thank you!!!   :thumbsup:

DS1 (11) - PA
DS2 (9) - MA, EA, PA, TN (on baked milk for 1 year)
DS3 (7) - KNA

ajasfolks2

ajasfolks2

Anyone having success getting this test paid for by insurance?  Have an allergist who will write letter stating medical necessity for this test?

Thanks if you can share this info . . .

To my knowledge Tricare is denying outright, but I do not know the "code" reason for denial. Sometimes that is helpful in dealing with insurance and trying to get them to reconsider and pay after all.

But getting any reconsideration will require that the ordering MD attest to the medical necessity.

Also, some insurances may be denying/refusing with claim that this test is "experimental" and "not accepted practice".

~ ~ ~

Wondering if anyone has child in EFMP and is then afforded the test by Tricare?  Is this (EFMP) the golden ticket?

:watch:

Jessica

Heck, I'd be willing to pay if I could only get the dang test. I called this week and left a message and they didn't call me back. I really wanted to get this ball rolling before we go on vacation but it's not looking good. :(
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview