FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "Food Allergy May Make Kids Bullying Targets"  (Read 2143 times)

Description:

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
"Food Allergy May Make Kids Bullying Targets"
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:50:04 PM »

By John Gever, Senior Editor, MedPage Today
Published: March 05, 2012

Reviewed by Dori F. Zaleznik, MD; Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston.

ORLANDO -- About one-third of children with food allergies are teased or harassed at school because of their condition, researchers said here.

The prevalence of bullying among children with food allergies was 29% in New York City and 34% in Jackson, Miss., according to reports from two separate surveys presented at the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology's (AAAAI) annual meeting.

Bullying tended to take place at school and was usually perpetrated by classmates and peers, but adults -- including teachers -- also were reported to have victimized children with food allergies.

Full article:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAAAIMeeting/31492

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: "Food Allergy May Make Kids Bullying Targets"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 05:35:21 AM »
Thank you! I was coming to post it last night and am grateful you got this up!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 10:36:34 AM »
I thought this was interesting because the numbers are higher in the students polled than in their parents.  That's definitely 'news' on this subject, where some researchers have previously concluded that PARENTS might be hypersensitive to exclusion/social costs, and that they matter far less to the kids than to us as parents. 

This strongly suggests that there may be a considerable percentage of socially negative events associated with FA that parents never learn about, which tallies much better with the anecdotal reports that I've seen in this community over the past decade.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline suevv

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »
Just so fundamentally important.  Thanks for posting this.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:55:06 PM »
Seems as good here as anywhere in this Schools section:

“Perhaps the sentiments contained in the following pages, are not yet sufficiently fashionable to procure them general favor; a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defence of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.” – - Thomas Paine, February 14, 1776

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!