FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 2 choices for school next year  (Read 1970 times)

Description:

Offline livingnutfree

• AKA newbienutfreemomma
2 choices for school next year
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:52:48 PM »
just kinda thinking out loud and looking for input. my dd's school only goes to 2nd grade then has option for a 3rd-5th public school (i'll call opt. A) or a choice school k-6( opt. B). I toured both of these schools yesterday and heres what I've came up with.
Opt A
   nurse full time
   principal told me i'd have to educate teacher at open house
   within walking distance to both work and hospital.
   kids bring cupcakes for parties

Opt B
   may only have nurse part time. 4 hrs per day. 9a-1p (depending on budget)
   principal totally on board with food allergies
   a few miles farther from work and hospital but close to fire dept
   have to work out plan with teacher for parties
Mom to 3 kiddos
ds1 nkfa
ds2 nkfa
dd   7 yr diagnosed with pn/tn allergy at age 6.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Re: 2 choices for school next year
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 11:04:33 PM »
Sounds like both need to have school nurse more proactive . . . nurse should be interfacing with the teacher, not you.

For LTFA, the second school seems better if the principal is more knowledgable and on board.

Or did you really get lipservice?

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline notnutty

• Live Simply, Laugh Often, Love Deeply
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:49:00 AM »
Sounds like both options need some work.  Besides food allergies, did you like the vibe of one school over another?  Finances? Technology?

Since it looks like you will have to work with both of the schools to educate them on how to properly manage LTFA, I would probably go with the one you think is a better fit for your DD overall.

Best of luck, these decisions can be so very hard.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:02:05 PM »
A principal may be on board now but may not even be there next year. 

Whichever school you choose, I'd put things into the works now to get a 504 for next year. 

Having needed a nurse several times at school for reactions (that required epi and transport), I'd go with the FT school nurse, all other things being equal.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline livingnutfree

• AKA newbienutfreemomma
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
Im leaning toward opt b. The principal at opt a had anwers that reminded me of the prinxipal in first grade. That year was a nightmare. when I asked him how they deal with kids with fa he said weut a sign on class door n let cafe know. I told him how things wete being handled this yr n thats when he. Said to talk to teacher at open house. N my dd could have her own table at lunch thus sitting alone just like last yr.When asked princpl at opt b she asked what accomadationds does she have n place now. Told her  n she said theyd b able to do that. she said how lunch is handled inclufing wiping table n class table is nut free. She repeated the table washin with wipe n said that sounds likea good pkan. I told her I can.present stay with faans safe at school n she said itd b good for all staff to hear. Opt a pricnpl fidnt seem open to it at allamyway thetes a bit.more details. Sorru for all typos um in my ohone
Mom to 3 kiddos
ds1 nkfa
ds2 nkfa
dd   7 yr diagnosed with pn/tn allergy at age 6.