corned beef in the crock pot

Started by Mfamom, March 16, 2012, 02:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfamom

I always make corned beef for st pat day.  we have a really busy day tomorrow.  I usually boil it, but I won't be able to do that tomorrow. 
How would the crock pot be for making this?  I "could" put it in the oven, but I really don't love having my oven on when I'm not home. 

Any input?

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Janelle205

I always do it in the crock pot, and do pretty regularly.

I just dump in the beef, sprinkle on the seasoning packet, and then cover it with water.  Cook all day on low.

Mfamom

thanks guys.  the recipe says HI for 8hours.  a review said they did on low.  Janelle, you say low too. 
I think I'm doing lo all day.  We're going to be gone most of the day (in and out, but not for long)

Committee Member Hermes

Janelle205

I have left it on low for probably 12-14 hours before, so you should be totally fine.

Now, keep in mind that I don't actually have an opinion on whether or not it is good, since I don't like corned beef, but fiancee says that it is at least as good as his Mom's, and he kills the leftovers every single time.  I have six corned beefs in the freezer right now.

Mfamom

it turned out great!! My ds and dh were starving.  At the whole thing+a loaf of rye bread minus 3 pieces, about 1/4 lb swiss cheese.  LOL 

I put beer in with watr.  was great!!  my ds just came up looking for dinner 2 and said, mom you should make corned beef more often!

Committee Member Hermes

hedgehog

Quote from: Mfamom on March 17, 2012, 08:59:47 PM
it turned out great!! My ds and dh were starving.  At the whole thing+a loaf of rye bread minus 3 pieces, about 1/4 lb swiss cheese.  LOL 

I put beer in with watr.  was great!!  my ds just came up looking for dinner 2 and said, mom you should make corned beef more often!

Yes, yes!  Beer in the water is so yummy!  Adds another layer of flavor.
USA

krasota

I know I'm late, but we almost always use the pressure cooker.  I do sometimes bake it in foil with mustard (great for slicing for sandwiches), but we really prefer the way the pressure cooker breaks down all the connective tissue and leaves it shreddy and tender.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

hedgehog

My father used to boil first, then cover with a mustard/brown sugar glaze, and bake, broil, or grill.  Oh that was yummy.
USA

hezzier

ok, so my flat cut corned beef is a little fat this year, had to used a lot of water to cover.  And since I only do this once a year, at the end will there be more or less liquid that I started with?  My crock pot is pretty full at the moment.

hedgehog

I have not made it in the crock pot in many years, so I don't really remember what happens with water level.  But I could make a different kind of recommendation.  Try a bottle of guinness, then enough water to cover.  YUM!
USA

hezzier

Quote from: hedgehog on March 17, 2013, 10:43:53 AM
I have not made it in the crock pot in many years, so I don't really remember what happens with water level.  But I could make a different kind of recommendation.  Try a bottle of guinness, then enough water to cover.  YUM!

No guinness in the house, I poured in a can of Fat Tire plus water.  Hoping it doesn't overflow later!

justme

I know I'm late to this party, but I'm looking up safe brands of corned beef. I haven't researched in years, but are most brands made in a nut-free facility?

becca

Never checked on that.  I just get whatever one is on sale.  We have never had a problem, but dd has only been having some for a few years or so.  She did not used to like it.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Macabre

POEM BREAK!

Corned Beef and Cabbage
BY GEORGE BILGERE

I can see her in the kitchen,   
Cooking up, for the hundredth time,   
A little something from her   
Limited Midwestern repertoire.   
Cigarette going in the ashtray,   
The red wine pulsing in its glass,   
A warning light meaning   
Everything was simmering   
Just below the steel lid   
Of her smile, as she boiled   
The beef into submission,   
Chopped her way   
Through the vegetable kingdom   
With the broken-handled knife   
I use tonight, feeling her   
Anger rising from the dark   
Chambers of the head   
Of cabbage I slice through,   
Missing her, wanting   
To chew things over   
With my mother again.

Poem copyright ©2002 by George Bilgere, whose most recent book of poetry is "Haywire," Utah State University Press, 2006. Poem reprinted from "The Good Kiss," published by The University of Akron Press, 2002.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/182968
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview