imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Caramel in a can  (Read 3045 times)

Description:

Offline Punky

Caramel in a can
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »
(If you're MA, this is obviously not going to work for you.)

- Take the label off of a regular (NOT pop top) can of sweetened condensed milk.
- Place in deep cooking pot and cover with several inches of hot water. Make sure there is plenty of water to keep the can fully immersed.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- Let cool for a couple of hours in fridge or on counter.
- When cool, open the can and Voila! Yummy rich caramel to use as you please.
I've heard you can accomplish the same outcome in a crockpot for 6-8 hours too, but I haven't tried it.

I dip apples in it, put it over ice cream, or eat it by the spoonful when no one else is looking  :hiding:
DD age 7 - Anaphylaxis to peanuts, treenuts, and eggs. (Outgrew dairy at age 5!)

Offline hedgehog

Re: Caramel in a can
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 05:41:50 AM »
I know it is common practice, but "they"  (you know that mysterious "they" that know everything), say never to heat that way because the can can explode due the internal pressure.  Buut if you put a little hole in the top of the can, and just make sure it does not tip over into the water, it is fine.
USA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:00:10 PM »
I've done this by emptying the can into a pan and letting it cook for a long time over very low heat. I'm too paranoid to heat a closed can or even one with a pinhole in it. It turned out really good though! Now I just buy smucker's caramel topping.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline krasota

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »
I totally make dulce de leche this way.  I like living on the edge.  You can do it more safely with a double boiler, though.  I've also done the microwave method.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline nameless

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:27:57 PM »
I do it this way: http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2005/11/dulce-de-lechec/

That way there is no guess work if it's done or not :)  Else I've made it by poking holes in the top of can (washing the whole can first), and boiling/simmering in a heavy saucepan with water just a bit below the top. Keep adding water as it evaporates...then I stick a skewer down one of the holes every so often to see until it's one. Once it took 4 hrs, I have no idea why. Then I found David Lebovitz's method with the pie plate and bane marie and loved doing it that way.

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 07:04:01 PM »
Wow nameless; I've never seen that method.  If I have time this weekend I'll make some vanilla ice cream, and make some of that to go with.  DS will flip!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
There is dulce de leche action going on in my oven right now.  I'll let you know how it comes out!
N.E. US

Offline nameless

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:33:22 PM »
There is dulce de leche action going on in my oven right now.  I'll let you know how it comes out!

Just don't cook it TOO long, keep testing/tasting and letting a TB cool in the fridge for 10 minutes to see if it stays creamy or if it hardens like a rock.

I've overcooked dulce de leche and you can turn it into candy, but you can't put it on icecream.

:)  Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
Good to know.  I was getting concerned because it doesn't seem to be firming up at all, though the color has deepened.  I'm going to have to leave in a minute to pick my DH up; maybe I should take it out and let it finish in the water bath out of the oven.
N.E. US

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 07:55:12 PM »
That's what I did, and it came out great!  Thanks for the guidance. :smooch:
N.E. US

Offline nameless

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 11:00:13 PM »
That's what I did, and it came out great!  Thanks for the guidance. :smooch:

yay!

I go off color and then when it finally starts tasting like caramel and not condensed milk.

:)
40+ years dealing with:
New England

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »
lol when I glanced at the topics, I thought it said Camel in a Can.  LOL

I love caramel but I'm not making that because I must lose some weight!  I'd eat it all. LOL
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes