Do you trust Goya's labeling?

Started by Jessica, March 24, 2012, 05:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica

I'm still looking for coconut water and it looks like Goya makes it. I couldn't find where there were any warnings online but if I see it in a store I'll check.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Macabre

We do use goya beans. But I don't know about anything else.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

MandCmama

Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of '18)

YouKnowWho

Goya has so many warnings on many of their products that we cannot use them for our particular allergy set (DS1's gluten allergy figuring in heavier here than peanuts).

I think they are labeled well but have yet to call on them.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

allerav

Reraising this in case anyone has further feedback.  We recently saw the papusas and am wondering about others' experiences.

We are PA, TNA, SFA, EA, sesame

GoingNuts

OMG, where did you see pupusas?   Does Goya just make the pastry and you fill it yourself, or do they make complete, filled pupusas?  I'm off to their website to check! (Reeeally probably not a good idea for me to have the convenience of having them in my freezer.  :misspeak:)

There's a Mexican/Salvadoran place near me that makes fabulous ones.   ;D
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Linden

We avoid milk, eggs, tree nuts, and peanuts.

I contacted Goya about a year ago and got sort of a squirrely answer.  First, I emailed them and asked whether they have a labeling policy for shared equipment and the top 8 allergens.  I received a reply telling me that they labeled for shared factories and gluten.  They didn't mention any of the other allergens.  A little while went by and I decided I was desperate enough for products DS could eat that I would try calling Goya.  The customer relations rep gave me a spiel about how they always label at the factory level for wheat and gluten.  "Okay," I said, "What about nuts?".  The customer service rep said, "It's the same for nuts.  We have to label for them."  Since Goya labels so extensively, I decided it was within my comfort zone, although I can see that it would not be so for others.

So far we have had Goya coconut milk, chocolate (which is nut, egg, and milk free and the kids loooove it), chopped up garlic, barley, pork rinds, beef empanaditas, and quinoa without incident.

One final note.  Two different types of Goya are sold where I live.  Sometimes the label just says Goya, which is Goya USA. Those are the folks I called.  There is also Goya de Puerto Rico.  I didn't call them and I've never seen anything from Goya de Puerto Rico that *is* labeled for cross-contamination.   I've never used Goya de Puerto Rico as I am not sure I trust them. 
DS TNA/EA, avocado, environmentals, asthma

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview