login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Homemade Twix bars  (Read 1851 times)

Description: Fail

Offline Mezzo

Homemade Twix bars
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:19:34 PM »
I tried this recipe today because friends had pinned it and I thought, "Hey, kiddo wants to try a Twix bar and can't!"

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2010/12/10/homemade-twix-bars/

I don't recommend it.

First, she gives a shortbread recipe that's meant to be very tender.

Then she gives a caramel recipe that, first of all is wrong because she says to cook it to peanut brittle stage, and second of all when I cooked it (on my second try) just to the proper temperature for caramel, the caramel is firm and the shortbread falls apart. 

That's not how the cookie is in the candy bar.

So I should have analyzed it better up front.

Has anyone else found something better and easier?  There's got to be an easier way. It took up half of my &*(^ afternoon.

Offline nameless

Re: Homemade Twix bars
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 11:31:39 PM »
I keep meaning to find/post my recipe!  It's a crunchy/flaky shortbread crust and you use Kraft caramels (or whatever-other-brand) to just melting them, spreading, then letting them firm up.

Remind me again if I haven't posted in a week!

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline nameless

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:35:01 PM »
You can also look for Millionaire's Bars --- which is a flaky shortbread crust you pre-bake, then fill w/ dulce de leche type caramel (sweetened condensed milk, boiled on stovetop then beaten with a wooden spoon), then the layer of melted chocolate chips.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 07:25:46 AM »
Mezzo, thanks for the review.  I have it pinned to, and almost made them yesterday for part of ds birthday dessert.  Glad I didn't!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US