Homemade Twix bars

Started by Mezzo, March 25, 2012, 11:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mezzo

I tried this recipe today because friends had pinned it and I thought, "Hey, kiddo wants to try a Twix bar and can't!"

http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2010/12/10/homemade-twix-bars/

I don't recommend it.

First, she gives a shortbread recipe that's meant to be very tender.

Then she gives a caramel recipe that, first of all is wrong because she says to cook it to peanut brittle stage, and second of all when I cooked it (on my second try) just to the proper temperature for caramel, the caramel is firm and the shortbread falls apart. 

That's not how the cookie is in the candy bar.

So I should have analyzed it better up front.

Has anyone else found something better and easier?  There's got to be an easier way. It took up half of my &*(^ afternoon.

nameless

I keep meaning to find/post my recipe!  It's a crunchy/flaky shortbread crust and you use Kraft caramels (or whatever-other-brand) to just melting them, spreading, then letting them firm up.

Remind me again if I haven't posted in a week!

Adrienne
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

nameless

You can also look for Millionaire's Bars --- which is a flaky shortbread crust you pre-bake, then fill w/ dulce de leche type caramel (sweetened condensed milk, boiled on stovetop then beaten with a wooden spoon), then the layer of melted chocolate chips.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

momma2boys

Mezzo, thanks for the review.  I have it pinned to, and almost made them yesterday for part of ds birthday dessert.  Glad I didn't!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview